Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Act Signed Into Law
Thursday, January 24, 2019
The bill, introduced by Senator Elizabeth Warren and Senator John McCain, authorizes the Treasury Department to mint a limited number of commemorative coins in 2020, at no cost to the taxpayer, to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield.
"The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame ensures that we honor the history of the game of basketball. Minting these commemorative coins to celebrate the Hall's 60th anniversary will allow this legendary institution to strengthen investments in educational programs that include and transcend basketball. I'm proud to have partnered with Congressman Neal and the late Senator McCain on this bipartisan bill, and I am grateful to the Hall for its dedication to growing the sport across America and the world and for making Springfield, Massachusetts an epicenter for learning about the history of basketball,” said Warren.
The bill, which passed both houses of Congress unanimously, was signed into law by President Trump on December 21, 2018.
"The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame is honored to have received unanimous approval from Congress to introduce a series of commemorative coins in 2020 that celebrate the great game of basketball invented in Springfield, Massachusetts by Dr. James Naismith. The game has rapidly spread across the globe and is played at all levels by men and women, and boys and girls around the world. It is a sport that offers significant opportunities to those who play and vast enjoyment for those who are fans. It is a common language that unites us all in the beauty of the game," said John Doleva, President of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Inc.
Basketball Hall of Fame
Founded in 1959 and named after the founder and creator of basketball, Dr. James Naismith, the Basketball of Hall of Fame is home to one of the largest collections of basketball memorabilia in the world - including over 30,000 three-dimensional objects, 800,000 photographs, and more than one million documents.
The Hall has welcomed over six million visitors to learn the history and traditions of the game through stories and artifacts and connects with over seven million Americans per year through various programs and events.
The education programs conducted by the Hall teach young people important subjects that apply beyond the basketball court, including financial literacy, math, civil rights, leadership, and geography.
Related Slideshow: 10 Biggest Games in Holy Cross Basketball History
Holy Cross vs Michigan in NCAA Tournament
The game marked Holy Cross' first NCAA Tournament appearance in 21 seasons.
After leading 72-70 with less than 5 minutes to play, the Crusaders fell 92-81.
Holy Cross was led that season by Ronnie Perry, however, he was injured for this game.
Holy Cross vs Duquesne - NIT Championship game
Holy Cross won the NIT Championship game 71-62 over Duquesne.
The Crusaders were led by Togo Palazzi who was named MVP of the tournament.
Palazzi went as the number one pick in the NBA Draft to the Boston Celtics a couple of months later.
- GOP Challenger to Warren Raises $1 Million for Senate Bid
- Sen. Warren Leads Congressional Delegation Trip to Puerto Rico
- Warren Blasts Equifax After Disclosure of 2 Million More Americans Affected by Data Breach
- Warren Blasts Senate’s Effort to Deregulate Big Banks
- U.S. Senate Candidate Kingston Blasts Warren During Meet & Greet
- Patriot Great Campaigns For Elizabeth Warren’s Opponent
- Warren Calls for Review of Education Dept’s Potential Misuse of Social Security Data
- Warren Issues Statements Opposing Trump’s Nominees for Dept. of Labor, Education
- Warren Seeks Info on Water & Vector-Borne Diseases in Puerto Rico & Virgin Islands
- Warren Urges FCC to Abandon Plan to Kill Net Neutrality
- Warren, Markey, Capuano Applaud Release of $100M in Federal Funding for Green Line Extension
- Diehl Blasts Senator Warren for “Failing New Bedford”
- Warren Voices Opposition to Haspel for CIA Director
- Warren Blasts Pfizer for Hiking Prices on Prescription Drugs
- MA Election 2018 — Warren, Baker, But No Nurses
- Warren Calls for Investigation into Drug Manufacturers Alleged Price Fixing Schemes
- Sen. Warren Demands Answers About Collapse of Education Corporation of America
- Warren, Markey Applaud End of National Grid Lockout
- Warren, Markey Urge National Grid to Ensure Locked-Out Workers Help with Merrimack Valley Recovery