Volvo Ocean Race Boats Set to Arrive in Newport Monday Night
Monday, May 07, 2018
According to race officials, “Weather has accelerated the Volvo Ocean Race's arrival in Newport to tomorrow night, May 7 at approximately 8 p.m. Forecasters released the announcement today [Sunday] that the fleet will arrive early into Narragansett Bay and across the finish line just outside of Newport Harbor.”
Fort Adams State Park Schedule
Fort Adams State Park will be open with free parking.
The Heineken, Mount Gay and Whispering Angel Bars will be open from 5 p.m. until 1 a.m. Monday night.
As of Tuesday, May 8 at 4 p.m., the attractions inside the Race Village will be open after the official ribbon cutting ceremony.
Volvo Ocean Race So Far
As teams approach Newport, Team Brunel holds a nine-mile lead on second place Dongfeng Race Team.
“The ‘bleeding’ compared to Dongfeng has stopped. The closest they got to us was 2.6 miles, we could read the sign writing on their sails,” said Bouwe Bekking of Team Brunel.
The top five teams in the race are just 36 miles apart with just over 500 miles still to go.
- China’s Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag Wins Leg 4 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Man Falls Overboard During Leg 4 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Dongfeng, AkzoNobel Take Commanding Lead in Leg 4 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Spain’s Team MAPFRE Takes Leg 3 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Leg 6 of 2018 Volvo Ocean Race Kicks Off
- Volvo Ocean Race Team Discovers Abandoned Ship in Pacific Ocean During Leg 6
- Vestas 11th Hour Racing Dimasted During Leg 7 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Man Falls Overboard During Leg 7 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Vestas 11th Hour Racing Returns to Action in Leg 7 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Volvo Ocean Race Generates Nearly 100 Million Euros in Spain
- Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover to Contribute to Fight Against Plastic Littering