Patriots Cut Five Players, Trade Safety Jordan Richards to Atlanta
Saturday, September 01, 2018
The five players that the Patriots released are DL Frank Herron, CB Ryan Lewis, WR Devin Lucien, RB Khalfani Muhammad and WR Paul Turner.
Earlier in the day, the Patriots traded safety Jordan Richards to the Atlanta Falcons for a conditional draft pick.
New England needs to cut 29 more players before Saturday, September 1 at 4 p.m.
Herron, 24, was signed by New England as a rookie free agent out of Louisiana State on May 11, 2018. The 6-foot-4, 312-pounder missed the first six games of his senior season in 2017 due to injury before playing in the final five contests for Louisiana State, totaling 21 tackles was a key reserve for LSU over his final three college seasons.
Lewis, 24, spent the majority of the 2017 season on the Patriots practice squad. The 6-foot, 195-pounder originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent out of Pittsburgh with Arizona on May 2, 2017. Lewis was released by the Cardinals prior to the start of the regular season and had a brief stint on the Arizona practice squad before coming to New England.
Lucien, 25, was signed by New England on July 23, 2018. The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder was originally drafted by New England in the seventh round (225th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft out of Arizona State. Lucien spent his rookie season on the Patriots practice squad and went to training camp with New England last year. He has also had stints on the Indianapolis, Kansas City, Houston and Tampa Bay practice squads. Lucien has not played in an NFL game.
Muhammad, 23, signed with New England on Aug. 27, 2018. The 5-foot-7, 174-pounder originally entered the NFL as a seventh-round draft pick (241st overall) by Tennessee out of California in the 2017 NFL Draft. Muhammad spent the majority of his rookie season on the Titans practice squad. He has not appeared in an NFL game and was released by the Titans on April 30, 2018.
Turner, 25, was signed by New England on July 27, 2018. The 5-foot-10, 193-pounder originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Philadelphia on May 5, 2016 out of Louisiana Tech. Turner began his rookie season on the Philadelphia practice squad before being signed to the 53-man roster on Nov. 21, 2016. He played in four games with two starts and registered nine receptions for 126 yards. Turner was released by Philadelphia after training camp last season before signing a futures contract with New Orleans in January. He was released by New Orleans on June 21, 2018.
New England Sports Survey - August 2018
- Patriots Pick Georgia Offensive Lineman Isaiah Wynn at #23 Overall
- Patriots Select Running Back Sony Michel at #31 Overall
- Patriots Make Series of Trades, Add 2 Players on 2nd Day of NFL Draft
- Patriots Add 6 Players on Final Day of NFL Draft
- Matt Light to be Inducted Into Patriots Hall of Fame
- 5 Things to Know About the Patriots Heading into the 2018 NFL Draft
- Patriots 2018 Regular Season Schedule Released
- Disturbing Number of NE Patriots Claim Brain Injuries, According to Lawsuit
- Reports: Patriots’ Amendola to Dolphins, Says NFL Network’s Hellie
- Patriots Trade Cooks to Rams for 1st Round Draft Pick
- Legendary Patriots Commentator Gil Santos Dies at 80
- Patriots’ Edelman Facing 4-Game Suspension for Performance Enhancing Drugs
- Patriots’ Edelman Apologizes for Using Performance Enhancing Drugs
- Patriots 1st Round Draft Pick Wynn Out for Season with Torn Achilles
- Patriots Cruise Past Eagles 37-20 in Preseason Game 2
- Popularity of Patriots, Belichick & Kraft Takes Hit in New Survey
- Patriots Fall to Carolina 25-14 in 3rd Preseason Game
- Patriots Restructure Gronkowski’s Contract, Add $4.3 Million in Incentives