Patriots Fall to Carolina 25-14 in 3rd Preseason Game
Saturday, August 25, 2018
"I think we all would have like to play better. Any time you go on the road and play a good team you have to make the plays and tonights a good example of what happens when we don’t and they do," said Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in his post-game press conference.
The Patriots fall to 2-1 in the preseason.
Slow Start, Mistakes Plague Patriots in First Half
Trailing 6-0 after the first quarter, the Patriots offense managed to put a drive together to open the second quarter.
Brady led New England on a 14 play 67-yard drive that put the Patriots inside the Carolina five-yard line.
However, a personal foul after LaAdrian Waddle would push the Patriots back and force them to settle for a 27-yard field goal from Stephen Gostkowski. To cut Carolina’s lead to 6-3.
In the Patriots final possession of the first half, Brady would again lead the Patriots on a long drive after hitting Philip Dorsett to pick up a fourth down.
Dorsett finished the game with four catches for 36 yards.
"Phil did a good job, made some good plays. He has done a good job during the spring and throughout training camp, it has been great to watch," said Brady.
The drive would end with Gostkowski missing a 28-yard game-tying field goal to keep the Patriots down three.
Brady completed 12 of 18 passes for 102 yards in the first half, but would not see any action the second.
The Patriots offense as a whole put up just 130 yards in the half.
In Carolina’ s final possession of the half, Cam Newton drove the Panthers 59 yards in a 1:49 resulting in a field goal to push the Panthers’ lead to 9-3 at the half.
All Carolina in 2nd Half
The second half of the game saw most of the starters for both teams sit on the bench.
Carolina backup quarterback Taylor Heincke ran one-yard into the end zone to give the Panthers a 15-3 lead after an extra point from Graham Gano.
Gano would add another field goal later in the third quarter to put Carolina up 18-3, before the Panthers would add another touchdown to go up 25-3 in the first minute of the fourth quarter.
Gostkowski would add a field goal and running back Mike Gillislee would run two-yards for a touchdown to make the final score 25-14.
Final Preseason Game Upcoming
The Patriots will play their final preseason game on Thursday, August 30 when they visit the New York Giants.
Game time is set for 7 p.m.
New England Sports Survey - August 2018
- Patriots 2018 Regular Season Schedule Released
- Legendary Patriots Commentator Gil Santos Dies at 80
- 5 Things to Know About the Patriots Heading into the 2018 NFL Draft
- Patriots Select Running Back Sony Michel at #31 Overall
- Patriots Pick Georgia Offensive Lineman Isaiah Wynn at #23 Overall
- Patriots Trade Cooks to Rams for 1st Round Draft Pick
- Reports: Patriots’ Amendola to Dolphins, Says NFL Network’s Hellie
- What to Watch For: Eagles vs Patriots - Super Bowl 52
- Patriots Fall to Eagles 41-33 in Super Bowl 52, Can’t Overcome Errors
- 5 Reasons Why This Will Be the Patriots Last Trip to the Super Bowl for a Long While
- Disturbing Number of NE Patriots Claim Brain Injuries, According to Lawsuit
- Patriots Make Series of Trades, Add 2 Players on 2nd Day of NFL Draft
- Patriots Add 6 Players on Final Day of NFL Draft
- Patriots Rally to Beat Redskins 26-17 in Preseason Game 1
- Patriots Release Wide Receiver Malcolm Mitchell
- Patriots Revise Brady’s Contract, Add $5 Million in Incentives
- Patriots Cruise Past Eagles 37-20 in Preseason Game 2
- Patriots 1st Round Draft Pick Wynn Out for Season with Torn Achilles
- Everything You Need to Know About Patriots Training Camp 2018
- Patriots Announce Training Camp Dates, Public Practices
- Matt Light to be Inducted Into Patriots Hall of Fame
- Patriots’ Edelman Facing 4-Game Suspension for Performance Enhancing Drugs
- Patriots’ Edelman Apologizes for Using Performance Enhancing Drugs
- Former Patriots Offensive Lineman Jones Dies of Cardiac Arrest