video: Pomeranz Strikes Out 9, Red Sox Beat Indians 6-1
Thursday, August 24, 2017
Pomeranz was making his first start since leaving his previous start with back spasms. He struck out nine in 5 1/3 innings. The win was his seventh straight.
The Red Sox improve to 73-53 on the season and maintain a five game lead over the New York Yankees in the AL East.
Red Sox Break Game Open in 9th
With the Red Sox leading 2-1 in the ninth, Rafael Devers scored from third base on a passed ball to give Boston a 3-1 lead.
Two batters later, Brock Holt hit an RBI double to left field that scored Xander Bogaerts from second base to extend the Red Sox lead to 4-1.
Eduardo Nunez capped off the 9th inning rally with a two run home run on a 3-0 count to put Boston up 6-1.
The Red Sox took their first lead of the game in the fifth inning when Mitch Moreland hit a home run to right field in the fifth inning, putting Boston up 1-0.
Mookie Betts made it 2-0 in the top of the 8th with a two out RBI single.
Cleveland would get one run back in the bottom of the inning, before the Red Sox offense would break the game open in the 9th.
The Red Sox and Indians wrap up their series on Thursday, August 24 at 7 p.m.
The pitching matchup is Boston’s Chris Sale against Cleveland’s Trevor Bauer.
Who the hell is Eduardo Nunez. No. 6 with the Red Sox. 10 on the year.— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) August 24, 2017
Some guys can't take the pressure of playing for a Boston sports team.— High Heat Stats �� (@HighHeatStats) August 24, 2017
And then, there's Eduardo Nunez.
Related Slideshow: The History of Baseball in Central Massachusetts
Baseball and Central Mass. go way back - to the 1860s. The local historical landmarks range from Mudville to Hotel Vernon to Fitton Field. A version of these highlights is posted on the site of the new, yet-to-be-formally-named Worcester Baseballteam of the three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.
First Perfect Game
The first perfect game in the history of Major League Baseball was pitched in Worcester, on June 12, 1880, by J. Lee Richmond for the Worcester Worcesters – also known at various times as the Brown Stockings and the Ruby Legs - versus the Cleveland Blues at the Worcester Driving Park Grounds, located in the Worcester Agricultural Fairgrounds near Elm Park. Worcester joined the National League in 1880, replacing the failed Syracuse Stars.
NE Collegiate Baseball
A New England Collegiate Baseball League team played in Leominster from 1995 to 1999. Called the Central Mass. Collegians, they won the NECBL Championship in both 1995 and 1996, and During the 1995 season, they played a game against the Cuban National Youth Team in Worcester.
Wachusett Dirt Dawgs
The Wachusett Dirt Dawgs, who play at historic, and newly renovated, Doyle Field in Leominster, are a 2012 expansion franchise in the now-three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.The Dirt Dawgs’ 2013 season swung into action on June 5 with big expectations, but ended on August 8 with those hopes being dashed. They finished in the basement, with a record of 20-31 - 14 games behind first-place the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks (38-18). The team is owned by prominent Leominster businessman John Morrison, who also founded, owns and operates Fosta-Tek Optics in Leominster.
Last month, the Futures Collegiate Baseball League announced the formation of the Worcester Baseball franchise, which will play its first season next summer. The team is owned by the family that owns and operates Creedon and Co. The prominent Worcester catering service will be the food-and-beverage vendor at home games at Fitton Field, at the College of the Holy Cross. Through Octobert 25, Worcester Baseball is conducting a name-the-team competition.
- Vasquez Hits Walk-Off 3-Run Home Run to Lift Red Sox Over Indians 12-10
- Devers Goes 4 for 4, Red Sox Cruise Past Indians 6-2
- Devers, Betts Hit Home Runs to Lift Red Sox Over White Sox 9-5
- Moreland’s Walk-Off Home Run Gives Red Sox 3-2 Win Over White Sox
- Red Sox Beat White Sox 4-1 for 5th Straight Win
- Red Sox Edge Royals 9-8 in 10 Innings
- Red Sox Suffer 3rd Straight Loss, Fall 4-0 to Seattle
- Red Sox Blow Late Lead, Lose 6-5 to Seattle in 13 Innings
- Devers Hits 1st Career Home Run, Red Sox Beat Mariners 4-0
- Red Sox Lose to Royals 4-2, Fall Out of 1st Place in AL East
- Young’s 3-Run Home Run Helps Red Sox Sweep White Sox
- Former Boston Red Sox Don Baylor Dies at 68
- Betts’ Walk-Off 2-Run Double Lifts Red Sox Over Cardinals 5-4
- Red Sox Turn Triple Play, Score 8 Runs in 5th to Roll Cardinals 10-4
- Sale Gives Up Two Home Runs, Yankees Edge Red Sox 4-3
- Bradley Jr.‘s 2 RBI Triple Helps Red Sox Cruise Past Yankees 5-1
- Holt’s Throwing Error Costs Red Sox in 5-4 Loss to Cleveland
- Devers 2 Home Runs Not Enough, Red Sox Fall to Indians 7-3
- Devers, Benintendi Lift Red Sox Over Yankees 3-2 in 10 Innings
- Sale Strikes Out 13, Red Sox Beat Tampa 2-0 for 7th Straight Win
- Red Sox Cruise Past Rays 8-2 for 8th Straight Win
- Red Sox Can’t Hold 3-0 Lead in 8th, Fall 5-4 to Yankees
- Benintendi’s 2 Home Runs Give Red Sox 10-5 Win Over Yankees
- Fister Gives up 1 Hit, Red Sox Roll Cleveland 9-1