Red Sox’ Betts Wins American League MVP
Friday, November 16, 2018
He received 28 of 30 first-place votes to finish ahead of the Angels’ Mike Trout and Cleveland’s Jose Ramirez.
Betts is the first Red Sox player to win MVP since Dustin Pedroia did it in 2008.
He is also the first American League player ever to win the World Series, the MVP, Gold Glove and Silver Slugger Awards in the same season.
The only National League player to do it was Mike Schmidt in 1980 with the Phillies.
Betts in 2018
With the Red Sox in 2018, Betts hit .346 with 32 home runs and 30 stolen bases while leading the majors in slugging percentage and leading the American League in extra-base hits.
He finished tied for the major league lead with 129 runs scored while winning a Gold Glove in right field.
Betts led the Red Sox to a franchise record 108 regular season wins and the team’s third straight AL East title.
Related Slideshow: The History of Baseball in Central Massachusetts
Baseball and Central Mass. go way back - to the 1860s. The local historical landmarks range from Mudville to Hotel Vernon to Fitton Field. A version of these highlights is posted on the site of the new, yet-to-be-formally-named Worcester Baseballteam of the three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.
First Perfect Game
The first perfect game in the history of Major League Baseball was pitched in Worcester, on June 12, 1880, by J. Lee Richmond for the Worcester Worcesters – also known at various times as the Brown Stockings and the Ruby Legs - versus the Cleveland Blues at the Worcester Driving Park Grounds, located in the Worcester Agricultural Fairgrounds near Elm Park. Worcester joined the National League in 1880, replacing the failed Syracuse Stars.
NE Collegiate Baseball
A New England Collegiate Baseball League team played in Leominster from 1995 to 1999. Called the Central Mass. Collegians, they won the NECBL Championship in both 1995 and 1996, and During the 1995 season, they played a game against the Cuban National Youth Team in Worcester.
Wachusett Dirt Dawgs
The Wachusett Dirt Dawgs, who play at historic, and newly renovated, Doyle Field in Leominster, are a 2012 expansion franchise in the now-three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.The Dirt Dawgs’ 2013 season swung into action on June 5 with big expectations, but ended on August 8 with those hopes being dashed. They finished in the basement, with a record of 20-31 - 14 games behind first-place the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks (38-18). The team is owned by prominent Leominster businessman John Morrison, who also founded, owns and operates Fosta-Tek Optics in Leominster.
Last month, the Futures Collegiate Baseball League announced the formation of the Worcester Baseball franchise, which will play its first season next summer. The team is owned by the family that owns and operates Creedon and Co. The prominent Worcester catering service will be the food-and-beverage vendor at home games at Fitton Field, at the College of the Holy Cross. Through Octobert 25, Worcester Baseball is conducting a name-the-team competition.
- Red Sox Eliminate Yankees, Advance to ALCS
- Holt Hits for Cycle, Red Sox Blow Out Yankees 16-1 in Game 3 of ALDS
- Everything to Know About Red Sox vs Astros in ALCS
- VIDEO: A-Rod Wears Red Sox Uniform After Losing Bet to Ortiz
- Red Sox Fall to Astros 7-2 in Game 1 of ALCS
- Red Sox Fall to Yankees 6-2 in ALDS Game 2, Series Tied 1-1
- Red Sox Hold Off Yankees 5-4 in Game 1 of ALDS
- Former Red Sox Arroyo to Lead Worcester’s Little League Opening Day Celebration
- Red Sox Clinch AL East Title With 11-6 Win Over Yankees
- Red Sox Beat Houston 7-5 in Game 2, Tie ALCS 1-1
- Bradley Jr.‘s Grand Slam Helps Red Sox Beat Astros 8-2 in Game 3 of ALCS
- Red Sox Fall to Dodgers 3-2 in Longest Game in Postseason History
- Red Sox Rally Past Dodgers 4-2, Take 2-0 Lead in World Series
- Red Sox Rally to Beat Dodgers 9-4 in Game 4, Price to Start Game 5
- Red Sox Duck Boat Parade Set for Halloween
- Red Sox to Face Yankees in ALDS Starting Friday
- UPDATED: Red Sox Win World Series
- Curt Schilling’s Wife Takes to Social Media to Blast Red Sox for Snubbing Her Husband
- Red Sox Beat Dodgers 8-4 in Game 1 of World Series
- VIDEO: Red Sox Beat Astros 8-6 on Amazing Catch to Take 3-1 Series Lead in ALCS
- Red Sox Advance to The World Series
- Red Sox to Face Dodgers in World Series
- Everything to Know About Red Sox vs Dodgers in World Series
- Finneran: Red Sox Thoughts