Red Sox Cruise to 8-1 Win Over AL East Rival Baltimore
Wednesday, April 12, 2017
The Red Sox move to 4-3 on the season.
Red Sox Open up Game
Leading 2-0 in the seventh, Dustin Pedroia hit a 2-run single straight up the middle to put the Red Sox in control up 4-0. He would collect 4 RBIs in the game on two hits.
Pedroia would score a run of his own after Andrew Benintendi drove him in on an RBI double to put Boston up 5-1.
Christian Vazquez added a two-run triple in the 8th inning to seal the win. Vazquez went 4-for-4 on the night.
Pomeranz held Baltimore to just four hits in the game and carried a shutout into the 7th inning. The win is his first at Fenway Park.
The Red Sox and Orioles return for game two of the series on Wednesday, April 12.
The pitching matchup is Steven Wright for Boston against Ubaldo Jimenez for Baltimore.
First pitch is set for 7:10 p.m.
Related Slideshow: The History of Baseball in Central Massachusetts
Baseball and Central Mass. go way back - to the 1860s. The local historical landmarks range from Mudville to Hotel Vernon to Fitton Field. A version of these highlights is posted on the site of the new, yet-to-be-formally-named Worcester Baseballteam of the three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.
First Perfect Game
The first perfect game in the history of Major League Baseball was pitched in Worcester, on June 12, 1880, by J. Lee Richmond for the Worcester Worcesters – also known at various times as the Brown Stockings and the Ruby Legs - versus the Cleveland Blues at the Worcester Driving Park Grounds, located in the Worcester Agricultural Fairgrounds near Elm Park. Worcester joined the National League in 1880, replacing the failed Syracuse Stars.
NE Collegiate Baseball
A New England Collegiate Baseball League team played in Leominster from 1995 to 1999. Called the Central Mass. Collegians, they won the NECBL Championship in both 1995 and 1996, and During the 1995 season, they played a game against the Cuban National Youth Team in Worcester.
Wachusett Dirt Dawgs
The Wachusett Dirt Dawgs, who play at historic, and newly renovated, Doyle Field in Leominster, are a 2012 expansion franchise in the now-three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.The Dirt Dawgs’ 2013 season swung into action on June 5 with big expectations, but ended on August 8 with those hopes being dashed. They finished in the basement, with a record of 20-31 - 14 games behind first-place the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks (38-18). The team is owned by prominent Leominster businessman John Morrison, who also founded, owns and operates Fosta-Tek Optics in Leominster.
Last month, the Futures Collegiate Baseball League announced the formation of the Worcester Baseball franchise, which will play its first season next summer. The team is owned by the family that owns and operates Creedon and Co. The prominent Worcester catering service will be the food-and-beverage vendor at home games at Fitton Field, at the College of the Holy Cross. Through Octobert 25, Worcester Baseball is conducting a name-the-team competition.
- Don Orsillo to Leave NESN at End of Red Sox Season
- NEW: Former Red Sox Curt Schilling Suspended by ESPN For Offensive Tweet
- Red Sox Sign David Price to 7 Year Deal
- Should Red Sox Fans Be Worried About David Price?
- Cherington Steps Down as Red Sox GM, Dombrowski Hired as Pres
- Pablo Sandoval is the Least Valuable Player on Red Sox
- The Best Boston Red Sox All-Star Game Moments
- Red Sox President & CEO Larry Lucchino to Step Down
- The 10 Best Red Sox Free Agent Signings in Larry Lucchino Era
- Red Sox Prospect Henry Owens Makes MLB Debut Tonight Against Yankees
- Worcester Police Officer Daige Honored by Red Sox for Pan Mass Challenge Effort
- Red Sox’ Benintendi Makes Catch of the Year in 6-2 Win Over Tampa
- Red Sox Bullpen Can’t Hold Lead as Sox Fall 6-5 to Detroit
- Leon’s Walk Off 3-Run Home Run Gives Red Sox 3-0 Win in 12th Inning
- Red Sox Drop 2nd Straight Game, Fall 4-1 to Detroit
- Leon’s Two-Run Single in 8th Lifts Red Sox Over Detroit 7-5
- NEW: Sale Strikes Out 10, But Red Sox Fall 2-1 to Detroit
- Benintendi’s 3-Run Home Run Lifts Red Sox Over Pirates on Opening Day
- Gronkowski Steals Brady’s Jersey During Red Sox Opening Day Ceremony
- Red Sox Open ALDS at Cleveland on Thursday Night
- Red Sox Lose to Indians
- Red Sox Porcello Wins AL Cy Young Award
- Red Sox Acquire Ace Pitcher Chris Sale from White Sox
- Former Red Sox Nixon to Make Guest Appearance at Bravehearts’ Fan Fest