Spain’s Team MAPFRE Wins Leg 8 Into Newport by 1 Minute
Wednesday, May 09, 2018
After 5,700 nautical miles, Spain’s team MAPFRE won leg eight of the 2018 Volvo Ocean Race, which finished in Newport, by one minute over Team Brunel.
The win vaults MAPFRE to the top of the overall race standings with just three legs left.
MAPFRE came from behind over the final few hours to overtake Team Brunel who had led most of the way.
Rhode Island’s Vestas 11th Hour Racing finished in third.
Volvo Ocean Race in Newport
The fleet will remain in Newport through May 20 with the formal race village opening scheduled for 4 p.m. later today on May 8.
The In-Port Race is scheduled for May 19 and the Leg 9 Start to Cardiff, Wales is set for Sunday, May 20.
- China’s Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag Wins Leg 4 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Leg 6 of 2018 Volvo Ocean Race Kicks Off
- Man Falls Overboard During Leg 4 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Dongfeng, AkzoNobel Take Commanding Lead in Leg 4 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Spain’s Team MAPFRE Takes Leg 3 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Volvo Ocean Race Team Discovers Abandoned Ship in Pacific Ocean During Leg 6
- Volvo Ocean Race Generates Nearly 100 Million Euros in Spain
- Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover to Contribute to Fight Against Plastic Littering
- Man Falls Overboard During Leg 7 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Vestas 11th Hour Racing Returns to Action in Leg 7 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Volvo Ocean Race Boats Set to Arrive in Newport Monday Night
- Vestas 11th Hour Racing Dimasted During Leg 7 of Volvo Ocean Race