Thompson’s 3 With 9 Seconds Left Gives Holy Cross Win Over Loyola
Wednesday, March 02, 2016
Anthony Thompson for the Win
With the game tied at 67, Holy Cross junior guard Anthony Thompson hit a three-point field goal with 9.3 seconds to play to give the Crusaders a 70-67 lead.
On the following possession, Loyola's Andre Walker missed both free throws, resulting in Matt Husek grabbing the rebound and getting fouled. Husek went to the line and knocked down both of his shots.
Holy Cross led 65-57 with 4:21 to play in the game before Loyola went on a 10-2 run to get the game tied at 67 with 52 seconds to play.
The game was tied at 43 at the half.
Holy Cross was led by Malachi Alexander with 24 points on 9 of 13 field goal attempts, while also grabbing 6 rebounds.
Karl Charles posted a career high 23 points and 6 steals, to go along with 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocked shots.
The Crusaders return to action on Thursday when they visit Bucknell in the Patriot League quarterfinal. Game time is set for 7 p.m.
- Holy Cross Falls 65-52 to Lafayette
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 98-71 Loss to Bucknell
- Holy Cross Falls to Lehigh 87-66
- Holy Cross Edges Army 69-65
- Holy Cross Men’s Basketball Announces Schedule Changes Due to Weather
- Holy Cross Rallies to Beat Colgate 65-63
- Holy Cross’ Karl Charles Named Patriot League Rookie of the Week
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 76-75 Win Over Maine
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Bill Carmody, Men’s Basketball Coach Holy Cross
- Holy Cross Rolls BU in Patriot League Opener
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 65-60 Loss to Navy
- Holy Cross Falls to Colgate 76-61
- Holy Cross’ Come Back Falls Short, Lose 71-54 to Loyola
- Holy Cross Falls 71-70 to American in OT Heartbreaker
- Holy Cross Comes up Short at Army, Fall 72-68
- Holy Cross Falls 78-63 to Loyola
- Holy Cross Falls to BU 83-68 in Season Finale
- Holy Cross’ Karl Charles Named to Patriot League All-Rookie Team
- Holy Cross Falls to Lehigh 64-59
- Holy Cross Rolls Lafayette 67-53
- Holy Cross Comes Back to Upset Navy 87-80 in Overtime
- Holy Cross Falls to American 58-45
- Former Holy Cross Defensive Coordinator Rodgers Coaching in Super Bowl
- Holy Cross Falls to Bucknell 77-52
- Holy Cross is One of the Colleges That Produce the Most Members of Congress