poll: Who is the Best Athlete from Clinton-Hubbardston?
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Who is the Best Athlete from Clinton-Hubbardston?
- 24 vote - Connie Mack (East Brookfield)- Most wins in MLB history as a manager
- 20 vote - Lynn Jennings (Harvard)- Three-time World Cross Country champion
- 13 vote - "Sliding" Billy Hamilton (Clinton)- Holds record for most runs scored in an MLB season
- 12 vote - James "Nixey" Callahan (Fitchburg)- Threw first no-hitter in American League history
Still, difficult decisions must be made. Today Bob Lobel revealed that the MLB's all-time leader in wins as a manager, Connie Mack, is his choice as the best sports figure in Central Mass history. But, if you wanted to go against Lobel, a sports legend in his own right, "Sliding" Billy Hamilton would not be a bad choice. Hamilton lived up to his name, stealing an astonishing 937 bases in his career, good for third all-time, and scoring an absurd 198 runs in 1894, setting a record that stands to this day. James "Nixey" Callahan is not in the baseball Hall of Fame, but he did achieve an important first. The Fitchburg native threw the first no-hitter in American League history, blanking the Detroit Tigers way back in 1902.
If baseball isn't your thing, Lynn Jennings is one of the most decorated runners in New England history. The Harvard native has multiple Olympic appearances to her name, but was most dominant as a cross country runner. Jennings won the World Cross Country championship three years in a row from 1990-1992.
The choice is tough, and there really are no wrong answers, but we want to hear your opinion; Who is the best athlete from Clinton-Hubbardston?
- Who is the Best Athlete from Ashburnham-Charlton?
- Greatest Athletes In Central Mass History: Clinton-Hubbardston
- Greatest Athletes In Central Mass History: Ashburnham-Charlton