NEW: Top Dems Turn Out for UMass Med’s Sherman Center Opening
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
The tour and speaking program at the $400 million, state-of-the-art biomedical research and education facility were attended by Governor Deval Patrick, Lieutenant Governor Tim Murray, Congressmen Jim McGovern and Stephen Lynch, State Treasurer Steve Grossman, state Senate President Therese Murray and House Speaker Robert DeLeo, among others.
State Representatives Mary Keefe, John Mahoney, Jim O'Day and state Senator Michael Moore were also spotted.
“Our investments in education, innovation and infrastructure have come together to support the completion of the Albert Sherman Center here at UMass Medical School,” said Patrick. “This landmark project is a testament to what is possible when we work together to invest in this generation and the next.”
The Sherman Center is the centerpiece of Patrick's Life Sciences Initiative. The building also earned LEED Gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, the second-highest certification issued.
Many of the day's speakers praised the late Congressman Joseph Early, Sr., who was instrumental in bringing the UMass Medical School to Worcester and helping to jumpstart the area's booming biotechnology industry. His wife and son, Worcester District Attorney Joseph Early, Jr., attended the grand opening.
Albert Sherman, the new building's namesake, earned a standing ovation from the crowd when he spoke about the importance of the work and research that will be conducted there. Sherman wass UMass Med's long-time Vice Chancellor for University Relations until 2009 and spent many years working with state and federal elected officials, acting as the school's government liaison.
- UMass Med. Students: From the Classroom to the Clinic
- UMass Med Professor Portrays the Brain’s Functions as Art
- NEW: UMass Medical School Finds New Partner for Biomedical Innovation
- NEW: Patrick to Unveil $400 Million Biomed Facility at UMass Med School
- NEW: UMass Med Faculty Elected to Top Science Society
- NEW: UMass Med’s New Sherman Center Earns Top Green Certification
- UMass Medical School 7th In U.S. News & World Report Ranking
- UMass Medical School Receives Major Gift for ALS Research