NEW: Kerry Confirmed By Senate As Secretary of State
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
The vote came after the outgoing Bay State Senator breezed through a confirmation hearing last week and approval vote this morning with the Senate Foreign Relations Committee he formerly chaired.
Kerry planned to submit his resignation from the Senate on Tuesday, effective Friday, and Governor Deval Patrick is poised to name an interim replacement on Wednesday.
Secretary of the Commonwealth William Galvin's office said on Monday that the special election to replace Kerry would be scheduled for June 25th, and that nomination papers would be issued once the Governor makes a formal announcement calling for the contest.
Democratic Congressman Edward Markey is the only candidate from either party to formally announce his intentions to run in the special election for Kerry's seat.
- NEW: State Sen Ben Downing Will Not Run For Kerry’s Seat
- Which Candidate Has the Best Shot at Kerry’s Seat?
- NEW: Senate Committee Approves Kerry Nomination
- NEW: Markey Calls for People’s Pledge in Senate Special Election
- NEW: Markey to Run for Senate
- If Sen. Kerry Becomes Sec. of State - See the Domino Effect