Wachusett and Shrewsbury Meet in the GoLocal Game of the Week
Friday, October 19, 2012
Shrewsbury at Wachusett, 7 pm Friday
Why is it a must-see game?
Both teams have been shooting up our power rankings after knocking off some of the region's established powers. Shrewsbury defeated crosstown rival St. John's in a 51-46 shootout earlier this month, and Wachusett's stingy defense shut down reigning Division I Super Bowl champion Leominster, along with a talented St. Peter-Marian squad.
One team's momentum will be halted, while the other will continue its magical run, likely into the postseason.
Shrewsbury Offense vs Wachusett Defense
This is a true matchup of strength vs strength. The Shrewsbury offense has been on a tear of late, averaging 30 points over its last five games. The Colonials have leaned heavily on running back Zach Dionis, who leads the team with nearly 900 yards on the ground.
Meanwhile, Wachusett has given up only 10 points the last two weeks, with both games coming against regional heavyweights. The Mountaineers haven't given up a point in their last six quarters of play, and junior linebacker Owen Gibbons snagged two interceptions to seal a victory over Leominster.
Wachusett Offense vs Shrewsbury Defense
The Mountaineers are known for their defense, but they've been able to put up points when the have to. Running back Scott Tupper has averaged over 4.5 yards per carry and cashed in six touchdowns, but don't look for Wachusett to get too crazy. They do their best to limit turnovers and let the defense do its job.
The Colonials' defense has only given up 30 or more points this year, and that was in a win against St. John's. Shrewsbury doesn't overwhelm you, but they have the speed to force turnovers, led by Garrett Pacy's three interceptions.
Be sure to check back after the game for full highlights in the sports section.
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Auburn vs Shepherd Hill
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Doherty vs South
- GoLocal Game of the Week: South vs Quabbin
- GoLocal Game of the Week: St. John’s vs Longmeadow
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Worcester Tech vs South
- South and Doherty Set to Play in GoLocal Game of the Week
- Auburn Battles Rival Shepherd Hill in the GoLocal Game of the Week
- St. John’s Faces Western Mass Champ in GoLocal High School Football Game of the Week
- GoLocal Game of the Week Preview: Worcester Tech at South