Beauty Insider: Mother’s Day Gifts - Palettes to Make Mom Pretty
Saturday, May 03, 2014
• Chantecaille Save the Bees Eye and Cheek Palette is just too darn cute. Mom will love that 5% of the sale proceeds are donated to the Xerces Society, a group that protects bees and the environment. She’ll also love the beautiful eye shadows, including a pale eye-opening blue. The blush is a gorgeous universal coral that looks great on everyone. Slim and lovely with a cheery bee sculpture on the cover – perfect for her summer rattan tote. Nordstrom.com
• Illamasqua Lipstick Palette is a limited edition of four summer-ready hues for lips. These tropical colors glide on smooth and easy and are highly pigmented. Mom will love every one and she’ll want to take this palette along on her summer day-tripping with Dad. Get ready for your thank you kiss! Sephora.com
• Dior Trianon Makeup Palette – This lovely palette offering from Dior will help Mom pay homage to the splendor of Versailles even if she can’t take that trip to France right now. It features a trio of pastel eyeshadows, deep black eyeliner, and a vibrant blush. She’ll adore the unique feminine bow shape that fits smoothly in her the palm of her hand at summer parties and wedding receptions. Amazon.com
• Tory Burch Divine Bronzer, Blush & Highlighter Palette – Tory Burch is the hottest cosmetic line right now and this bespoke gold and orange compact has three skin-brightening shades pressed together. A single swipe will give Mom the healthy, sun-kissed glow she longs for. It's lightly scented too, with hints of Tory's signature fragrance of mandarin, tuberose and vetiver. Chic and up-to-the-minute means you’ll score points - now Mom really likes you best. Exclusive to Nordstrom.
• Bobbi Brown Pastel Brights Eye Palette is the epitome of warm weather chic with its array of metallic pastels. Moms don’t have to be afraid of frosts when the colors are this sophisticatedly hushed and grown-up. A touch of sweetness to enhance those eyes you love so much. Bobbibrowncosmetics.com
• Two Faced Natural Face Palette is a true multi-tasking compact that has everything to create an effortless no-make-up look. Some Moms prefer natural glow instead of color and this one comes with detailed instruction cards for coverage, highlights, and glow. Sephora.com
Palettes may seem a bit pricey at first but their multi-talented ways and beguiling presentations will give Mom plenty to smile about on Mother’s Day.
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: 2013 Gift Guide: Great Gifts for Her
Between work, family, and anything else that life might be throwing their way, chances are the woman you are shopping for is in serious need of some pampering. Pop in to Blushing Bee Naturals in Holden and browse their great selection of all natural and organic products. Choose from great product lines like Little Moon Essentials, Badger, Burt’s Bees, Pacifica and more. Rest easy knowing that you are treating the special lady on your list to a completely natural pampering experience.
Where to buy: Blushing Bee Naturals, 787 Main Street, Holden, MA. (508) 829-2332.
Price: Varies based on product line and item
Photo: Mr. T in DC/Flickr
By and large, chocolate is a smart gift choice for any woman on your list. Head to Colonial Candies in Bolton to check out their selection. This place has been in business for 100 years and counting and it’s no secret why—they sell some of the best confections in the industry. Pick up a box of their famous assorted chocolates that will be sure to please. If chocolate is not an option, be sure to check out their old fashioned ribbon candy!
Where to buy: Colonial Candies, 47 Sugar Road, Bolton, MA. (978) 779-6586.
Price: $21.95/1lb Box Classic Assortment; $17.95/gift wrapped box of Old Fashioned Ribbon Candy
Got a girl that loves to read in mind this holiday season? Look no farther than Tatnuck Booksellers in Westborough. Containing thousands of books covering all genres and age ranges spread over 35,000 sq. ft., you are sure to find a book she’ll love. As a bonus, all the books in store are discounted—every day.
Where to buy: Tatnuck Bookseller, Route 9 & Lyman Street, Westborough, MA. (508) 366-4959.
Price: Varies based on book or item selected.
Photo: Casey Fleser/Flickr
Choose a piece of jewelry for a special woman in your life that has meaning this holiday season. Ribbons Jewelry in Uxbridge is the go-to for inspirational jewelry. Take a trip to the show and check out the BB Becker Collection, featuring beautifully designed engraved jewelry.
Where to buy: Ribbons Jewelry, 158 North Main Street, Uxbridge, MA. (508) 278-2495.
Photo: Alexander Karelly/Flickr
Maybe you haven’t yet heard, but Kringle Candle Company is the newest, freshest premium candle retailer in Massachusetts. Take a trip out to their Bernardston candle factory and explore all that it has to offer. Collections of candles scents range anywhere from kitchen spices to holiday fragrances and more. Pick up some great scented candles, like the great Cocoa Spice Jar candle, and pair it with a car freshener!
Where to Buy: Kringle Candle Company, 220 South Street, Bernardston, MA. (413) 648-3077.
Price: Large Spice Jar Candle: $24.95
Photo: Massachusetts Office of Travel & Tourism/Flickr
Got a free spirited adventurer on your list? Keep it close to home and take the short drive to New England Backpacker on East Mountain Street. Pick up a pair of cross country skis or snow shoes for a winter lover, or a tent and some hiking boots for a summer adventurer.
Where to buy: New England Backpacker, 6 East Mountain Street, Worcester, MA. (508) 853-9407.
Price: See store for details.
Photo: Stefan Schmitz/Flickr
Support a great Worcester business, ARTworks, this holiday season. Peruse beautifully handcrafted figures by Lori Mitchell that are perfect as gifts. There are several to choose from, all amazingly detailed and themed. For a holiday themed gift, pick up the “Playing Santa” figure—it’s adorable!
Where to buy: Artworks, 261 Park Avenue, Worcester, MA. (508) 755-7808.
Price: “Playing Santa,” $23.00
Got a busy mom to buy for? Why not buy her a photo calendar, specially made with all of her favorite memories? As she’s planning away for next year, she can look back on all of her happiest moments. Snag her favorite pictures and hop on Shutterfly today. You can get her a gorgeous wall calendar in 8”X11” or 12”X12” sizes.
Where to buy: www.shutterfly.com
Price: 8”X11”: $21.99; 12”X12”: $29.99
If you’ve got a nature lover on your hands, you can do better than a bouquet of grocery store roses. Check out Seed to Stem, a great local business that pairs unique botanical arrangements and creations with curiosities, antiquities, and more. Pick up a gorgeous hanging terrarium that will make the special woman on your list beam.
Where to buy: Seed to Stem, 174 Shrewsbury Street, Worcester, MA. (508)890-0933.
Price: See store for specific pricing.
Take a visit to Prints and Potter, a store that is dedicated to handmade, handcrafted treasures. Pick up a beautifully made piece of jewelry for the lady on your list. Select from an array of alluring gemstones and precious metals to find that perfect gift.
Where to buy: Prints and Potter, 142 Highland Street, Worcester, MA. (508) 752-2170.
Photo: Kristina D.C. Hoeppner/Flickr
- Beauty Insider: A Breath of Fresh Air—Adding Spring to Your Style
- Easy Beauty Resolutions You Can Keep
- Beauty Insider: Baby, It’s Cold Outside— Hand Care for Chilly Days
- MA Beauty Insider: Eight Easy Ways to Look Great Tonight
- Beauty Insider: Luck Be a Lily – Lily of the Valley Spring Beauty
- MA Beauty Insider: Holiday Gift Sets – A Perfect Gift for Her
- Beauty Insider: Polar Vortex Style – Looking Chic in Frigid Cold
- MA Beauty Insider: New Year’s Eve Glamour at Home
- Beauty Insider: Staying Beautiful With Honey
- MA Beauty Insider: Pedi Nation – Get the Best Pedicure Ever
- Beauty: 6 Easy Steps To Summer-Worthy Legs
- MA Beauty Insider: Romantic Valentine’s Day Style
- Beauty: Rose-Inspired Beauty Buys For Summer
- MA Beauty Insider: The Transformative Power of Lipstick
- Drug Store Beauty Finds
- MA Beauty Insider: Three Simple Steps for a Celestial Complexion