Guest MINDSETTER™ Fitzpatrick: A Tribute to Blackstone Valley Tech HS Coach Yancik
Thursday, May 24, 2018
The May 14 passing of beloved teacher and coach Derek Yancik after an 18 month battle with pancreatic cancer brought that reality once again to Blackstone Valley Tech High School in Upton.
Coach Yancik, an HVAC/R instructor and assistant football coach, provided a stellar example of strength and dignity in the face of adversity. Never bemoaning his circumstances or lashing out at the unfairness of his tragic illness, he showed his students and athletes how to persevere against all odds and face an uncertain future with grace.
His plight inspired students to create the Yancik Strong team, which participated in the Pancreatic Cancer Walk in Boston to raise research funds in November; and brought a videotaped message of support from Patriots quarterback Tom Brady when the school’s football team competed in the state championship game at Gillette Stadium in December. Just as a family surrounds a loved one with care and support during times of trouble, the entire school community came together to show its love and gratitude for a dedicated teacher and mentor.
In his passing, Coach Yancik leaves a legacy of courage, humility, and selflessness that will endure at Valley Tech. He will be sorely missed, but remembered always and honored by student-led annual cancer awareness and fundraising efforts in his name.
Dr. Michael F. Fitzpatrick is the Superintendent and Director of the Blackstone Valley Vocational Regional School District.
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Harvey Fenigsohn: Giving the Gift of the English Language
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Nick D’Andrea: Ask Tough Questions, Demand School Safety
- Grafton Residents Misled Regarding Propane Facility by Guest MINDSETTER™Jon Delli Priscoli
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Berwick: Nixon’s and Obama’s Middle East Peace Strategies
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: The Worcester Six
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tim Murray: Empowering the Next Industrial Generation
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Mike Ricardi: Supporting Worcester’s Small Businesses Should Be Priority
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Marc Kenen: The Financial Impact of Charters Overstated
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Dr. Julie Frechette: Digital Media Era Needs Transparency from Police
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Emma Bailey: National Electric Week Comes to Worcester
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Dr. David Schaefer: How the Republican Debate Could Affect Candidates’ Standing
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Goodrich: Legislative Outlook for Early 2016
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. McKenna: Reflecting on 2015
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Congressman McGovern: America Cannot Afford Trump’s Nuclear Arms Race
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Worcester Pride: Reaffirming Our Mission
- Hey RI, We Want the PawSox in Worcester, Guest MINDSETTER™ Quist
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Moore: Solving the Alzheimer’s Puzzle
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Kruskal & Riley: Getting Sick? How to Protect Yourself & Your Family in Flu Season
- Guest MINDSETTER™Tammaro: Qatar Airways Has No Place in Boston
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Grossman: Now Is the Time to Act Vote ‘Yes’ on Question 2 for Charter Schools
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Goodrich: Legislature Must Act on Excessive Unused Sick & Vacation Time
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Goodrich: Fight Over Charter Schools - A Fight Over Accesibility to Good Education