NEW: Worcester Ranks #1 in Traffic Study
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
The INRIX Index, an annual study of traffic congestion, showed that for 2011, drivers wasted only 11.7 hours sitting in traffic all year, compared with the 51.2 hours for Honolulu, the city ranked as the most congested.
In Boston, which was ranked as the country’s 9th most congested city, drivers spend more than 30 hours in traffic.
Other findings include the fact that Tuesday at 8:00 AM was the busiest morning commute, and Friday at 5:30 PM was the busiest evening commute hour where the average trip took 16 percent longer.
National traffic congestion peaks between 7:45 and 8:00 am, while evening congestion peaks nationally between 5:30 and 5:45 pm.
The 2011 Top Ten Worst Cities for Traffic in America and hours wasted were:
1. Honolulu (58 hours)
2. Los Angeles (56 hours)
3. San Francisco (48 hours)
4. New York (57 hours
5. Bridgeport, CT (42 hours)
6. Washington, D.C. (45 hours)
7. Seattle (33 hours)
8. Austin (30 hours)
9. Boston (35 hours)
10. Chicago (36 hours)
- Massachusetts Ranks High For Start-Up Friendliness
- NEW: Gallup Poll: Massachusetts Ranks #4 In Least Religious States
- Your Rights When Police Suspect You’re Driving Drunk
- Forbes Ranks Worcester #10 Best City to Raise a Family