Sale Gives Up Two Home Runs, Yankees Edge Red Sox 4-3
Sunday, August 20, 2017
Tyler Austin's 1st career at bat vs. Sale went pretty well. pic.twitter.com/luEfYEm6OG— New York Yankees (@Yankees) August 19, 2017
The loss drops the Red Sox to 70-52 on the season and trims their AL East lead to four games.
Yankees Use Long Ball to Beat Red Sox
With the game tied at zero in the top of the 2nd inning, New York’s Didi Gregorius doubled to right field. Following Gregorius, Todd Frazier drew a walk to put two men on with one out in the inning.
New York’s Tyler Austin followed and drilled a home run over the Green Monster to give the Yankees a 3-0 lead.
The Red Sox would get two runs back in the bottom of the 5th. Jackie Bradley Jr. hit an RBI single to score Rafael Devers and cut the Yankees lead to one, 3-2.
In the top of the sixth, New York’s Todd Frazier hit a solo home run over the Green Monster to put the Yankees up 4-2.
The Red Sox would get one back in the seventh to cut the Yankees lead to 4-3, but they were unable to get the tying run across.
The Red Sox and Yankees wrap up their series on Sunday, August 20 at 1:35 p.m.
The pitching matchup is Boston’s Rick Porcello against New York’s Sonny Gray.
Yankees have won 3 out of 4 games against Chris Sale.— Sung Min Kim (@sung_minkim) August 20, 2017
Chris Sale, asked if HRs came off good pitches: "One was a fastball, one was a slider - and I've never seen a good pitch go over the fence."— Tyler Kepner (@TylerKepner) August 20, 2017
Related Slideshow: The History of Baseball in Central Massachusetts
Baseball and Central Mass. go way back - to the 1860s. The local historical landmarks range from Mudville to Hotel Vernon to Fitton Field. A version of these highlights is posted on the site of the new, yet-to-be-formally-named Worcester Baseballteam of the three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.
First Perfect Game
The first perfect game in the history of Major League Baseball was pitched in Worcester, on June 12, 1880, by J. Lee Richmond for the Worcester Worcesters – also known at various times as the Brown Stockings and the Ruby Legs - versus the Cleveland Blues at the Worcester Driving Park Grounds, located in the Worcester Agricultural Fairgrounds near Elm Park. Worcester joined the National League in 1880, replacing the failed Syracuse Stars.
NE Collegiate Baseball
A New England Collegiate Baseball League team played in Leominster from 1995 to 1999. Called the Central Mass. Collegians, they won the NECBL Championship in both 1995 and 1996, and During the 1995 season, they played a game against the Cuban National Youth Team in Worcester.
Wachusett Dirt Dawgs
The Wachusett Dirt Dawgs, who play at historic, and newly renovated, Doyle Field in Leominster, are a 2012 expansion franchise in the now-three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.The Dirt Dawgs’ 2013 season swung into action on June 5 with big expectations, but ended on August 8 with those hopes being dashed. They finished in the basement, with a record of 20-31 - 14 games behind first-place the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks (38-18). The team is owned by prominent Leominster businessman John Morrison, who also founded, owns and operates Fosta-Tek Optics in Leominster.
Last month, the Futures Collegiate Baseball League announced the formation of the Worcester Baseball franchise, which will play its first season next summer. The team is owned by the family that owns and operates Creedon and Co. The prominent Worcester catering service will be the food-and-beverage vendor at home games at Fitton Field, at the College of the Holy Cross. Through Octobert 25, Worcester Baseball is conducting a name-the-team competition.
- Red Sox Lose to Royals 4-2, Fall Out of 1st Place in AL East
- Devers Hits 1st Career Home Run, Red Sox Beat Mariners 4-0
- Red Sox Edge Royals 9-8 in 10 Innings
- Devers Goes 4 for 4, Red Sox Cruise Past Indians 6-2
- Red Sox Blow Late Lead, Lose 6-5 to Seattle in 13 Innings
- Red Sox Suffer 3rd Straight Loss, Fall 4-0 to Seattle
- Red Sox Fall to Toronto 8-6 in Series Finale
- Sale Strikes Out 9, Red Sox Cruise Past Angels 6-2 in LA
- Red Sox Can’t Hold 3-0 Lead, Fall 7-3 to LA
- Porcello Picks up 14th Loss, Red Sox Fall to LA 3-2
- Vasquez Hits Walk-Off 3-Run Home Run to Lift Red Sox Over Indians 12-10
- Devers, Betts Hit Home Runs to Lift Red Sox Over White Sox 9-5
- Benintendi’s 2 Home Runs Give Red Sox 10-5 Win Over Yankees
- Red Sox Can’t Hold 3-0 Lead in 8th, Fall 5-4 to Yankees
- Devers, Benintendi Lift Red Sox Over Yankees 3-2 in 10 Innings
- Devers 2 Home Runs Not Enough, Red Sox Fall to Indians 7-3
- Red Sox Turn Triple Play, Score 8 Runs in 5th to Roll Cardinals 10-4
- Red Sox Cruise Past Rays 8-2 for 8th Straight Win
- Sale Strikes Out 13, Red Sox Beat Tampa 2-0 for 7th Straight Win
- Moreland’s Walk-Off Home Run Gives Red Sox 3-2 Win Over White Sox
- Red Sox Beat White Sox 4-1 for 5th Straight Win
- Young’s 3-Run Home Run Helps Red Sox Sweep White Sox
- Former Boston Red Sox Don Baylor Dies at 68
- Betts’ Walk-Off 2-Run Double Lifts Red Sox Over Cardinals 5-4