Sharks Set For Crucial Final Regular Season Games
Thursday, April 16, 2015
With the San Jose Sharks missing the playoffs, general manager Doug Wilson has reassigned Chris Tierney, Karl Stollery and Bryan Lerg to Worcester.
Chris Tierney played 27 games with Worcester so far this season and posted 24 points (seven goals, 17 assists) and a +6 rating. Tierney recorded 21 points in 43 games in the NHL.
Karl Stollery went to San Jose in a March 2 trade with the Colorado Avalanche and has played in 57 AHL games this season between Worcester and Lake Erie. Stollery has registered seven goals and 11 assists for 18 points in those games
The return of Bryan Lerg to Worcester will be a huge difference maker for the Sharks. Lerg posted 41 points (13 goals, 28 assists) in 66 games this season. Lerg leads the team in points and assists.
Taylor Fedun's return will also have be a big difference maker for Worcester. Fedun has registered 33 points (six goals, 27 assists) in 63 games for Worcester this season. At the time of his call up, Fedun let all Sharks defenseman in points and assists.
The Providence Bruins (40-24-7-2) currently sit in sixth place in the Eastern Conference, three points ahead of Worcester.
The Sharks are 7-4 against the Bruins this season but have dropped two straight, including a 3-0 shut out loss on April 11 at the DCU Center.
Like Worcester, Providence has received reinforcements as well as Boston did not make the playoffs in the NHL. Boston reassigned center Ryan Spooner and right winger David Pastrnak to Providence.
The P-Bruins are led by Rob Flick and Colin Stuart who have each netted 16 goals on the season.
Saturday at Manchester
The Manchester Monarchs (48-16-6-3) are the top team in the Eastern Conference and have clinched everything (division, conference) with 105 points.
Worcester is 4-6-1 against Manchester this season including a 2-0 loss the last time these two teams faced on in Manchester on March 1.
Manchester is led by Brian O'Neill who has netted 22 goals on the season and 56 assists for a total of 78 points. O'Neil comes in to the game as a +28 on the season.
Michael Mersch follows up with 20 goals while Jordan Weal and defenseman Colin Miller added 19 goals each.
Sunday vs Portland
Ideally, the Sharks will have clinched a playoff spot by this time and this game would just be about position, either seventh, eighth or maybe even sixth. But if not, this game wiill be the biggest one of the season.
The Pirates currently sit in a tie for eighth place with the Springfield Falcons and likely will need this game to get into the playoffs.
The Sharks are 4-2-1-0 against the Pirates this season, winning the last game in Portland 1-0 as Aaron Dell made 30 saves.
The Pirates are led by Alexandre Bolduc and Brendan Shinnimin who have each netted 21 goals on the season.
For tickets to the Sharks final regular season game, click here.
- Sharks Blown Out in Providence, Fall 5-1
- Sharks Drop 2nd Straight to Bruins, Fall 3-0
- Sharks Drop 3rd Straight, Fall 3-2 to Devils
- Sharks Down Penguins 4-2 for 7th Straight Win
- Sharks Come Back To Beat Hershey 3-2 in Shootout
- Sharks Net 6 Goals, Blow Out Phantoms 6-1
- Sharks Net Six Goals, Beat Falcons 6-3
- Sharks Edge IceCaps 3-2 in OT
- Sharks Roll Falcons 4-1, Win 5th Straight
- What Happens at DCU Center After Worcester Sharks Season Ends?
- Sharks Shut Out For Second Straight Game, Fall 2-0 to Monarchs
- Sharks Fire 50 Shots on Net, But Fall 2-0 to IceCaps
- Three Power Play Goals Push Sharks Past Admirals 5-2
- Sharks Edge Admirals 4-3, Sweep Weekend Series
- Sharks Blank 1st Place Manchester, 3-0
- Sharks Net 6 Goals, Down IceCaps 6-3
- Sharks Fall at Home, 3-2 to Hershey
- Sharks Top IceCaps 3-1 at DCU Center
- Sharks Shut Out Portland 1-0, Jump to 5th in East
- Winning Streak Snapped, Sharks Fall 4-1 to Bridgeport
- Sharks Comeback Falls Short, Lose 4-3 to Bridgeport
- Sharks Net Five 2nd Period Goals, Beat Wolf Pack 5-2
- Sharks Fall 3-2 To Providence in Battle For Playoff Position
- Sharks Roll Sound Tigers 5-1
- Sharks Come Up Short Against Albany, Fall 3-2