U.S. Economy Adds 304K Jobs in January
Friday, February 01, 2019
“Best January for the DOW in over 30 years. We have, by far, the strongest economy in the world,” wrote President Donald Trump on Twitter.
The economy has added an average of 241,000 jobs a month since November, while employment gains in 2018 were the best that they have been in three years.
Companies that provide leisure and hospitality like hotels, restaurants, gambling, recreation, and others added 74,000 jobs in the month.
Meanwhile, construction firms took on 52,000 new workers, healthcare providers added 42,000 workers and transportation and delivery companies added 27,000.
Retailers added 21,000 jobs.
Unemployment and Wages
While jobs were added, the U.S. unemployment rate rose from 3.9% to 4% in January.
According to the Labor Department, the government shutdown did not adversely impact the higher jobless rate.
The average wage paid to American workers went up three cents to $27.56 an hour
- Meet the Disruptors: Massachusetts’s New Sharing Economy
- Worcester’s Economy Continues to Grow in Second Quarter
- Protect Clean Water Necessary for Good Health and Strong Economy
- Study Finds America’s Beer Industry Contributes $5 Billion a Year to MA Economy
- Report: Worcester’s Foreign-Born Residents Contribute Greatly to City’s Economy
- NEW: MA Ranked #1 State for New Economy by Independent Think Tank
- Paul Giorgio: It Was a Good Week for the US Economy
- Grace Ross: Stop Repeating History; Fix the Economy!
- Has the Worcester Economy Become Too Dependent on Meds + Eds?
- Will a Minimum Wage Hike Hurt or Help Worcester’s Economy?
- Worcester’s Economy Improved in First Quarter
- Worcester Economy Growth Slows, but is Stable Says Assumption Report
- US Economy Adds Roughly 292,000 Jobs in December
- Worcester Economy Slowed in the Fourth Quarter of 2017
- Worcester Economy Grows 1.9% in Third Quarter of 2017
- Horowitz: Broadening Opportunity Pays Off for our Economy
- Smart Benefits: How to Ready Your Org for the Gig Economy
- Worcester Economy Grows 2.3% in 1st Quarter of 2018