MA Ranks 45th for Patriotism
Wednesday, June 29, 2016
Massachusetts ranks 48th in Military engagement and 13th in civic engagement.
The state also has the 46th lowest percentage of residents who enlisted in the military.
Massachusetts is ranked behind California and Pennsylvania at 43 and 44 respectively while ahead of Illinois and Rhode Island at 46 and 47.
The most patriotic state according to WalletHub is Virginia, while the least patriotic is New Jersey.
To see where all the states rank, check out the map below.
In order to identify the most and least patriotic states, WalletHub compared them in two overarching categories including military engagement and civic engagement.
These categories are comprised of 12 relevant metrics and each metric was scored on a 0-to-100 point scale, with 100 being the best score.
WalletHub then calculated the overall score for each state using the weighted average across all metrics, used that number to rank the states.
Military Engagement – Total Points: 50
- Percentage of Residents Who Enlisted in the Military in 2014 (Non-Prior Service): Triple Weight (~25.00 Points)
- Number of Veterans per 1,000 Residents: Full Weight (~8.33 Points)
- Number of Active-Duty Military Personnel per 100,000 Residents: Full Weight (~8.33 Points)
- Percentage of People in Military Reserves: Full Weight (~8.33 Points)
Civic Engagement – Total Points: 50
- Percentage of Residents Who Voted in the 2012 Presidential Election: Double Weight (~12.90 Points)
- Percentage of People that Voted in the 2016 Primary Elections: Full Weight (~6.45 Points)
- Volunteer Rate: Full Weight (~6.45Points)
- Volunteer Hours per Resident: Full Weight (~6.45 Points)
- Number of Americorps Volunteers per 100,000 Residents: Full Weight (~6.45 Points)
- Number of Peace Corps Volunteers per 100,000 Residents: Half Weight (~3.23 Points)
- Frequency of Google Searches for American Flags (Adjusted by Total Number of Searches): Quarter Weight (~1.61 Points)
- Civics-Education Requirement: Full Weight (~6.45 Points)
Related Slideshow: 10 July 4 Parades & Firework Displays You Must See in Central Mass
Old Sturbridge's celebration starts on July 2 and goes right through July 4th
Celebrate Independence day with family and friends at the weekend celebration in Sturbridge. Citizens will have a chance to partake in many different events throughout the weekend including farm yard games, 19th century baseball and more.
The City of Worcester's Independence Day celebration is set to take place on Friday, July 1 at East Park on Shrewsbury Street.
The celebration goes from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. and features the Massachusetts Symphony Orchestra and fireworks starting at 9:30 p.m.
4th of July Celebration
Shrewsbury will host their 4th of July celebration on Independence Day. The celebration will include food, live music and DJs as well as inflatable amusements, clowns, and face painting. A decorated bike and doll carriage parade will begin at 12:30 p.m.
The celebration goes from noon to 4 p.m. and is FREE.
- How Each State Demonstrates Its Patriotism
- Friday Financial Five – July 4th, 2014
- Worcester Police Release July 4th Celebration Advisory