slides: 5 Takeaways From Patriots 27-23 Loss to Houston in Preseason Game 2
Sunday, August 20, 2017
Brady completed 6 of 9 passes while hitting Rex Burkhead across the middle for a 22-yard touchdown pass.
Turnovers Cost Patriots
The Patriots turned the ball over three times in the game, and it resulted in 10 points for Houston.
With the Texans leading 20-16 in the third quarter, Jimmy Garoppolo fumbled after he was hit by Houston’s Tony Washington. The Texans would convert that fumble into three points following a Houston kicker Ka'imi Fairbairn to make the score 20-16 Houston.
After Garoppolo found DJ Foster in the end zone to give the Patriots a 23-20 lead in the fourth quarter, New England’s next possession would result in another turnover.
On first down from his own 38-yard line, Garoppolo scrambled out of the pocket and threw high to Jacob Hollister. The ball was picked off by Houston’s Denzel Rice who returned it to the Patriots four-yard line.
One play later, Houston’s D’Onta Foreman ran it into the end zone to give the Texans a 27-23 lead.
Garoppolo went 15 of 23 for 145 yards with a touchdown and an interception in the game.
The Patriots had one final possession to try and win the game, but another turnover would cost them.
Jacoby Brissett dropped back to pass on third down from the Houston 8-yard line when the ball was knocked out of his hand as he was getting set to pass.
The ball went forward and out of the back of the end zone for a touchback, giving the Texans the win.
Brissett finished the game by going 5 of 10 for 36 yards.
The Patriots return to action on Friday, August 25 when they visit the Detroit Lions.
Game time is set for 7 p.m.
Jimmy Garoppolo into the game for the Patriots, along with several other backups. A 17-snap night for Tom Brady. 15 snaps for Rob Gronkowski— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) August 20, 2017
Mike Gillislee might want to hustle back on to the field. Rex Burkhead's making a run at his job.— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) August 20, 2017
Related Slideshow: 5 Takeaways From Patriots 27-23 Loss to Houston in Preseason Game 2
Tom Brady saw his first action of the preseason going 6 of 9 for 67 yards and a touchdown pass to Rex Burkhead.
He was in the game for two offensive possessions which took him into the second quarter before he was replaced by Jimmy Garoppolo.
Brady hit Burkhead on a short pass, which he took to the end zone for his first score as a Patriot.
Brady also completed passes to James White, and a seven-yard pass to Brandin Cooks in the game.
Newcomer Rex Burkhead shows his versatility in this game.
Burkhead finished the game with seven rushes for 20 yards and caught three passes for 50 yards including the touchdown. He saw a total of 13 snaps with Brady and the first team offense.
He was also involved in pass protection.
Running Back Snaps Breakdown With Brady: (Out of 16 total snaps)
James White: 3
Dion Lewis: 0
For the first time since 2012, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski played in a preseason game.
It was reported on Friday, August 18, that Gronkowski would not play.
Gronkowski was on the field for 15 snaps and was not targeted.
He was effective as a run blocker, clearing room for Burkhead to take a short pass from Brady 16 yards at the end of the first quarter.
Elandon Roberts Injured
Linebacker Elandon Roberts suffered a rib injury following a collision with teammate Jonathan Freeny.
Roberts suffered the injury while in coverage on a slant route when the two collided.
Roberts stayed down and was carted off the field. He did not return.
The Patriots defense is already short up front with injuries to Derek Rivers and Deatrich Wise, combined with the retirement of Rob Ninkovich.
Stephen Gostkowski nailed kicks of 51, 42, and 38 yards against the Texans while making all of his field goal attempts.
Gostkowski missed a 56-yard field goal last week against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Gostkowski missed five field goals and three extra points last season.
- Patriots’ Gronkowski Crashes Spicer’s White House Press Briefing
- NEW: Patriots’ Butler Signs Restricted Free Agent Tender
- Patriots 2017 Regular Season Schedule Released
- 5 Things to Know About the Patriots Heading into the 2017 NFL Draft
- Patriots Make Trades and Add 2 Players in 3rd Round of NFL Draft
- Former Patriots Star Hernandez Cleared of Double Murder Charges
- Patriots 2017 Preseason Schedule Announced
- New Orleans Saints Will Not Sign Patriots’ Butler to Offer Sheet
- Patriots’ Gronkowski Gets in Ring at Wrestlemania
- Brady’s Recovered Super Bowl 49 Jersey to be Displayed in Patriots Hall of Fame
- Former Steeler Clark Threatens to Quit ESPN Job if Patriots Trade for Sherman
- Patriots Trade for Kansas City TE O’Shaughnessy, Add 2 Players in Final Day of NFL Draft
- Patriots’ Super Bowl 51 Trophy to Visit Worcester City Hall
- Raiders Running Back Lynch Mocks Brady, Patriots in New Macklemore Music Video
- Patriots Become First NFL Team with Private Planes, Will Fly Out of T.F. Green
- What to Watch For: Jaguars vs Patriots Preseason Game 1
- Patriots Place Hightower, Branch on PUP List to Open Training Camp
- Everything to Need to Know About Patriots 2017 Training Camp
- Patriots Sign Wide Receiver Andrew Hawkins to One-Year Deal
- Former Patriots Tackle O’Callaghan Comes Out as Gay
- Patriots’ Edelman to be on Cover of ESPN’s Body Issue