Patriots Claim Tight End Bennett Off Waivers
Friday, November 10, 2017
The Patriots claimed Bennett off of waivers just one day after he was released by the Green Bay Packers for failure to disclose a medical condition, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Bennett was in the first year of a three-year, $21 million contract with Green Bay and will be owed $423,529 for the rest of the season.
With Green Bay, he hauled in 24 catches for 233 yards and no touchdowns.
Bennett With the Patriots
Bennett played with the Patriots during the 2016 season helping them to their fifth Super Bowl.
Last season, Bennett hauled in 55 catches for 701 yards and a career-high seven touchdowns.
His role with the Patriots increased after Rob Gronkowski went down for the season.
New England is currently 6-2 on the season and in first place in the AFC East.
The Patriots return to action on Sunday, November 12 when they visit the Denver Broncos on Sunday Night Football.
Martellus Bennett shooting his way out of Green Bay and landing back with the Patriots = Eerily reminiscent of LeGarrette Blount in 2014.— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) November 9, 2017
Former Packers’ TE Martellus Bennett claimed on waivers by the New England Patriots, per source.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 9, 2017
Hot take: The Patriots acquiring Martellus Bennett will actually make Dwayne Allen better. He can narrow down what he needs to focus on. Was having issues learning playbook, now Pats can give him specific packages. Still think he has role.— Ryan Hannable (@RyanHannable) November 9, 2017
- Brady’s 3 Touchdown Passes Lead Patriots Past Saints 36-20
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs. Saints
- What to Watch For: Texans vs. Patriots
- Patriots Rally to Beat Houston 36-33 in Final Seconds
- Who Were the 17 Patriots Players Who Knelt During the National Anthem?
- Patriots Defense Can’t Stop Kansas City, Pats Fall 42-27
- What to Watch For: Chiefs vs Patriots
- NEW: Patriots’ Edelman Looks to Have Suffered Torn ACL, Out for Season
- What to Watch For: Giants vs Patriots Preseason Game 4
- 5 Takeaways From the Patriots 40-38 Preseason Loss to the Giants
- Patriots Trade Brissett, Cut Roster to 53 Players
- Will Political Division and CTE Kill New England’s Love of the Patriots?
- What to Watch For: Panthers vs Patriots
- Patriots’ Hightower Out for Season With Torn Pectoral Muscle
- Patriots Defense Shuts Down Falcons, Cruise to 23-7 Win in Super Bowl Rematch
- What to Watch For: Chargers vs Patriots
- Patriots Hold Off Chargers 21-13 for 4th Straight Win
- Patriots Trade Garoppolo to 49ers for 2nd Round Pick
- What to Watch For: Falcons vs Patriots
- Patriots Overcome Slow Start to Edge Jets 24-17
- Patriots Fall to Carolina 33-30 in Final Seconds
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs Buccaneers
- Patriots Hold On to Beat Tampa Bay 19-14
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs Jets
- Patriots Re-Acquire Hoyer to be Brady’s Backup