Becker Awarded $21K Grant for Esports Lab
Friday, November 02, 2018
The $21,400 grant was one of 28 awarded by the Baker-Polito Administration through MassDevelopment to strengthen community-based innovation and entrepreneurship in the Commonwealth.
“We are grateful to MassDevelopment for this support. With these funds, Becker can outfit the labs with top-tier, cutting-edge equipment, such as customized PCs and high frame-rate monitors, which will enhance the team’s competitive edge,” said Tim Loew, executive director of MassDiGI at Becker and general manager of the College’s Varsity Esports Program.
The lab will be located within the College’s Colleen C. Barrett Center for Global Innovation and Entrepreneurship, which opened earlier this year on Becker’s Worcester Campus.
The global esports industry is growing at a rate of 4 percent a year and is expected to top $1.5 billion dollars (U.S.) in revenue by 2020 and a global audience of over 580 million.
“Becker College has rapidly become a leading force in esports, both nationally and in Massachusetts, through the launch of a number of esports-related programs in June: a first-in-the-nation Esports Management bachelor’s degree; the availability of five, one-year Esports Management scholarships for the inaugural 2019 Esports Management class—the first program in the U.S. to offer scholarships for this type of program; and the launch of a varsity Esports Program<“ said Becker in their press release.
- Becker College Wins 6 Education Digital Marketing Awards
- MassDiGI at Becker College Receives $25K Grant from ESA Foundation
- John Monfredo: Becker College Pres. Gives Stirring MLK Day Speech
- Becker College Appoints John MacDonald as Vice President
- Becker College Named to Higher Education Video Game Alliance
- Leading in Central MA: Betsy Fuller, Dean of Becker College
- NEW: City Manager to Receive Honorary Degree From Becker College
- Becker College recognized for role in helping women advance professionally
- Becker College to Honor Judge Mathis at 225th Commencement
- NEW: Becker College Students Reimagine Worcester’s Salisbury Mansion
- Becker College Receives $125,000 Grant From Davis Educational Foundation
- Writing for Screen and Digital Media to Launch at Becker College
- Becker College’s MassDiGI Program Develops Game Addressing Income Inequality
- Becker College’s MassDiGI Program Awarded $583K in Federal Funding