Pawtucket Mayor Grebien Blasts RI House Speaker Mattiello Over PawSox Failure
Thursday, June 21, 2018
Grebien made the remarks to the Worcester Telegram and Gazette during a break
“I can tell you, if we don’t have a bill, (the PawSox are gone),” Donald R. Grebien said Tuesday night during a break in a House Finance Committee meeting considering the city’s stadium proposal. “The speaker and the House have played this the wrong way, and I think that everybody realizes that and we’re here and we have to have something on the table.
“They’re gonna make a decision. If by the end of the session we don’t have a bill, then I don’t think there’s any more discussion. I mean from the PawSox — if I were them. They haven’t threatened that but that’s just the reality. They’ve been here two years, working with us and the state of Rhode Island and Pawtucket’s been the only one embracing them,” Grebien said.
End of the Session PawSox Battle Continues in House Finance Hearing Tuesday Night
As GoLocal reported:
With the clock running out on the legislative session, resolution in the House’s embattled PawSox stadium bill still has not been reached.
At a House Finance Committee meeting Tuesday night, Pawtucket Mayor Donald Grebien urged the council to approve Speaker Nicholas Mattiello’s newest version of the bill, which is currently under consideration.
“We are at the beginning of something great for the city of Pawtucket,” Grebien said in his testimony. “My message to you is simple: please pass this legislation!”
- Not So Fast Worcester, Lucchino Says PawSox Are Slowing Down The Relocation Process
- VIDEO - What the PawSox Stadium Would Look Like in Worcester
- Has the PawSox Brand Been Damaged This Year?
- Rice, Boggs & Mondor to be Inducted Into PawSox Hall of Fame
- Hey RI, We Want the PawSox in Worcester, Guest MINDSETTER™ Quist
- Who Will Land the PawSox - Could Worcester, Springfield, or Fall River?
- PawSox Owners Drop Public Relations Team Following Failed Providence Bid
- Will Worcester Look Bad if New Bedford Ends Up with PawSox?
- What’s Next for the PawSox?
- 12 Reasons Why the PawSox Move to Providence is in Peril
- Will City Subsidize Public Funds to Let Billionaires Bring PawSox to Worcester?
- Robert Whitcomb: PawSox Play, Watergate Summer De Luxe
- 2 Worlds: All White PawSox Owners & Staff, Asking Pawtucket - 40% Minority & Poor - for Millions
- Mattiello Cites GoLocal Poll in Rejecting Senate PawSox Measure
- New PawSox Deal in RI: Cost of Borrowing Increases to $85M — 16% Increase
- PawSox Boss Lucchino Missing in RI
- PawSox Attendance Inflated By As Much as 300%
- New PawSox Deal - Owners Continue to Refuse to Take on Risk
- PawSox Deal Looks Dead for 2017, RI Speaker Mattiello Raises Concerns
- Facing Overwhelming Public Opposition for PawSox Deal in RI, What is Next for Owners
- Robert Whitcomb: Christmas for RI’s Public Unions; Worcester Pitching the PawSox; Thayer St. Churn
- Whitcomb Says Chances of PawSox Going to Worcester are Slim
- Robert Whitcomb: Worcester Wouldn’t Well for PawSox; Taxing Away the Little Guys? Racial Fire
- Democrats, Labor Stack Hearing for PawSox Funding Scheme at RI State House
- GoLocal Statewide Poll: Just 13% of Rhode Islanders ‘Strongly Support’ Funding the PawSox Stadium