slides: Worcester Has 2nd Worst Income Equality in MA
Wednesday, September 26, 2018
According to HomeArea.com, Worcester has the second worst income equality in the state out of 14 ranked cities.
Worcester is ranked ahead of only Boston.
“When discovering a place to call home, income equality (or inequality) should be an important factor included in your decision. As we see on the national stage, income inequality is dividing our nation. If it exists in your hometown, it may not be a harmonious place to live. It could lead to tension and even crime,” says HomeArea.
HomeArea.com created the 14 Massachusetts Cities with the Best Income Equality based on the newly released Census Bureau data of cities with a population of 60,000 or more.
Income inequality is measured on a scale from 0 to 100 using the Gini Coefficient. Lower values indicate that household income is more evenly distributed on a pre-tax basis.
In the U.S., it typically falls in the range of 30-65. Other countries range from high inequality like in Brazil (50s) to high equality like in Sweden (30s).
See the Rankings in the Slideshow Below
Related Slideshow: 14 Massachusetts Cities with the Best Income Equality - 2018
- MA Passes Increase of State’s Earned Income Tax Credit
- Massachusetts Tops New England in Personal Income Growth
- New England Metropolitan Areas with the Highest Income Growth
- NEW: Gov Patrick Calls for Income Tax Hike, Sales Tax Cut
- #60 to #1: Worcester County Cities and Towns with Largest Household Income Gaps
- Guest MINDSETTER™Deborah Gonzalez: Hispanics and Income Disparity in MA
- Finneran: Income Inequality
- MassDevelopment Issues $4 Million Bond to Buy, Renovate Worcester Mixed-Income Housing
- Worcester Schools Outpace MA for Low Income Students
- Becker College’s MassDiGI Program Develops Game Addressing Income Inequality
- Quinsigamond Ranked as Top 25 Community College for Advancing Opportunities for Low Income Students
- Worcester Incomes Fall Far Behind the Rest of Massachusetts
- Smart Benefits: Imputed Income for Group Term Life Insurance