Jazz Legend Marsalis to Open Music Worcester’s 2017-18 Season
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
Marsalis will open the 2017-2018 concert series on Wednesday, October 4 at Mechanics Hall.
Marsalis is an internationally acclaimed musician, composer and bandleader, an educator and a leading advocate of American culture.
He is the world’s first jazz artist to perform and compose across the full jazz spectrum from its New Orleans roots to bebop to modern jazz.
He has won nine Grammy Awards and has become the first jazz musician ever to win the Pulitzer Prize for Music.
Music Worcester Concert Schedule
Here is the full 2017-18 schedule for the Music Worcester concert series.
The schedule is as follows:
- Trumpet sensation Wynton Marsalis will kick off Music Worcester’s 2017-2018 Season in concert with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra at Mechanics Hall on Wednesday, October 4th, 2017 - 7:30 pm.
- The Martial Artists & Acrobats of Tianjin, China, directed by Mrs. Guo Qingli, will bring their new program "China Soul" to Worcester at Mechanics Hall on Saturday, October 21,2017 - 8:00 pm.
- lViolin Legend Gil Shaham will perform a program of Kreisler, Wheeler, Franck, Saint-Saens, and Dorman with long-time collaborator pianist Akira Eguchi at Mechanics Hall on Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 4:00 pm.
- The Worcester Chorus, Salisbury Singers, Master Singers, Sounds of Stow, and Worcester Children's Chorus will form a collaboration to perform Britten's War Requiem at Mechanics Hall on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 4:00 pm
- The Worcester Chorus, under the direction of Chris Shepard, will continue its holiday tradition with a performance of Handel's Messiah at Mechanics Hall on Saturday, December 2, 2017 - 8:00 pm.
- Garrick Ohlsson will perform a solo program featuring works by Beethoven, Schubert, and Scriabin at Mechanics Hall on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 8:00 pm.
- Music Worcester pianist Simone Dinnerstein returns with A Far Cry for a program of Bach, Prokofiev, and Glass at Mechanics Hall on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 4:00 pm
- Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra, featuring Armenian piano soloist Nareh Arghamanyan, will bring a program of Sibelius, Rachmaninoff, and Brahms at Mechanics Hall on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 7:30 pm.
- Weimar Symphony Orchestra, featuring violin soloist Valeiry Soklolow and conductor Kirill Karabits, will perform an electrifying program of Strauss, Brahms, and Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 at Mechanics Hall on Thursday, March 1, 2018 - 7:30 pm
- Dublin Irish Dance will present an extravaganza of sights and sounds of Irish Culture at Mechanics Hall on Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 4:00 pm
- The renowned Boston Brass ensemble will deliver a Sunday matinee performance, bridging a range of works from the Baroque to pop music and film medleys to delight audiences with music and boisterous fun at Mechanics Hall on March 18, 2018 - 4:00 pm.
- Apollo's Fire: The Cleveland Baroque Orchestra, directed by Jeanette Sorrell will perform works by Bach, Telemann, and Vivaldi at Tuckerman Hall on Sunday, March 25, 2018 - 4:00 pm.
- The Moscow Festival Ballet will return to Worcester to present its fully staged version of Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty at The Hanover Theatre on Friday, March 30, 2018 - 8:00 pm.
- Romanian violinist Irina Muresanu will deliver a solo program of Paganini, Bach, Enescu, Piazzolla, and Flynn at WamsWork on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 8:00 pm.
- The Worcester Chorus, directed and conducted by Christopher Shepard, will perform Mendelssohn’s version of Bach's St. Matthew Passion at Mechanics Hall on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 8:00 pm.
- Organist Cameron Carpenter will present "The International Touring Organ" program at Mechanics Hall on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 8:00 pm.
- Wu Han & David Finckel, directors of the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center will perform with Philip Setzer of the Emerson String Quartet at Tuckerman Hall on Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 7:30 pm.
Related Slideshow: 20 Must See Fall Concerts in New England - 2017
September 2 & 3
20th Annual Rhythm & Roots Festival at Ninigret Park
The 20th Annual Rhythm and Roots Festival is bringing a star studded lineup to Ningret Park in Charlestown.
The concert series will feature starts like RI's Sarah Potenza, Rosanne Cash, The Mavericks and much more.
You do not want to miss out.
Matchbox 20 & Counting Crows at Xfinity Center
Matchbox 20 and Counting Crows are teaming up for "A Brief History of Everything Tour."
Matchbox 20 is known for songs such as "Unwell," 3 a.m." and "Push."
Counting Crows is known for hits such as "Mr. Jones," and "Accidentally in Love."
Brett Michaels at Indian Ranch
Bret Michaels is formerly the lead singer of the metal band Poison who have sold more than 45 million records all over the world and 15 million records in the United States.
Poison has ten singles in the top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100, including 6 top 10 singles and a number one single "Every Rose Has its Thorn."
Michaels also released multiple solo albums including the soundtrack album for the movie A Letter from Death Row, Songs of Life.
Arcade Fire at TD Garden
Arcade Fire is a Canadian indie rock band based in Montreal. They are made up of husband and wife Win Butler and Régine Chassagne, along with Win's younger brother William Butler, Richard Reed Parry, Tim Kingsbury and Jeremy Gara.
In 2017, the band released their fifth studio album Everything Now.
The band's first four studio albums have received nominations for the Best Alternative Music Album Grammy
Roomful of Blues at Gazebo Summer Concert Series
Westerly's Roomful of Blues will play a free show at the Gazebo Summer Concert Series in Narragansett.
Formed in 1967, the band has earned five Grammy Award nominations, seven Blues Music Awards, and other accolades.
Roomful of Blues is currently an eight-piece band led by guitarist Chris Vachon and featuring long-time tenor and alto sax player Rich Lataille.
Other members are trumpeter Doug Woolverton, bassist John Turner, and drummer Chris Rivelli, joining long-time member baritone and tenor saxophonist Mark Earley. Rusty Scott is on keyboards.
2018 will be their 50th anniversary.
September 22 & 23
Ed Sheeran at TD Garden
Ed Sheeran released his debut album “Plus” on September 9, 2011, and has since been certified seven times platinum in England.
His rise to stardom in the U.S. started in 2012 when he made a guest appearance on Taylor Swift’s fourth studio album, “Red.” He then spent most of 2013 opening for Swift during her tour.
Most recently, Sheehan’s third album titled “Divide” was released in March of 2017.
The album debuted at number one in the UK, the US, and other major markets. The first two singles from the album, "Shape of You" and "Castle on the Hill", were released in January of 2017 and broke records in numerous countries by debuting in the top two positions of the charts.
September 27 & 28
Roger Waters at TD Garden
Roger Waters is the co-founder of the legendary rock band Pink Floyd.
As a member of Pink Floyd, he was inducted into the U.S. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996 and the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2005.
His solo work includes the studio albums The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, Radio K.A.O.S., Amused to Death, and Is This the Life We Really Want?.
His concert set list includes legendary songs such as "Another Brick in the Wall," "Wish You Were Here," and much more.
September 29 & 30
Katy Perry at TD Garden
Katy Perry is bringing her "Witness The Tour" to TD Garden for two shows.
Perry is known for hits such as "California Gurls", "Teenage Dream", "Firework," "E.T.", and "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)"
Perry has won awards, including four Guinness World Records, five American Music Awards, a Brit Award, and a Juno Award, and has been included in the Forbes list of "Top-Earning Women In Music" (2011–2016).
Chicago at Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion
Chicago has sold over 40 million albums in the U.S., with 23 gold, 18 platinum, and 8 multi-platinum albums.
They have had five number-one albums on the Billboard 200 and 19 top-ten singles on the Billboard Hot 100.
They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2016.
Third Eye Blind at Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom
Hampton Beach, NH
Third Eye Blind has sold more than 12 million records worldwide.
Thier hits include "Semi-Charmed Life," "Jumper," and "How's It Going to Be," all reaching the Top 10 of the US Billboard Hot 100, and "Never Let You Go" reaching the Top 20.
October 7 & 8
Bruno Mars at TD Garden
Bruno Mars is bringing his 24k Magic World Tour to the TD Garden.
In his career, Mars has sold more than 100 million signals and albums all over the world and has landed six number one singles on the Billboard Hot 100 since the beginning of his career in 2010.
Mars first album, Doo-Wops & Hooligans consisted of two number one singles "Just the Way You Are" and "Grenade" and a number four single "The Lazy Song."
In 2012, Mars hit it big again with his second album Unorthodox Jukebox which rose to number one in the US and featured singles such as "Locked Out of Heaven," "When I Was Your Man" and "Treasure."
The Temptations and Four Tops at PPAC
Over the course of their career, the Temptations have released four Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles and 14 R&B number-one singles. Their songs have earned them three Grammy Awards.
The Temptations are known for songs such as "My Girl," "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)," and "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone."
They ranked at number 68 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 Greatest Artists of all time.
Mariah Carey at Foxwoods
Carey has sold more than 200 million records worldwide.
She is known for songs such as "Touch My Body," "One Sweet Day," and "We Belong Together."
She has won 5 Grammy Awards, 19 World Music Awards, 11 American Music Awards, and 14 Billboard Music Awards
Guns N' Roses at XL Center
Guns N' Roses is back and they are set to rock out at the XL Center with their "Not in This Lifetime Tour."
They are known for songs such as "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Welcome to the Jungle," and "November Rain."
The band has sold over 100 million records worldwide, including shipments of 45 million in the United States.
Of the 100 million, approximately 30 million come from their debut album Appetite for Destruction and the song "Sweet Child O Mine" which reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100.
Fall Out Boy at TD Garden
One of the biggest rock bands in music today, Fall Out Boy is bringing their M A N I A Tour to Boston.
The group consists of lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist Patrick Stump, bassist Pete Wentz, lead guitarist Joe Trohman, and drummer Andy Hurley.
Fall Out Boy's hit songs include "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race," "Thnks fr th Mmrs," and "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)."
IRATION at Lupo's
The band consists of Micah Pueschel (lead vocals/guitar), Adam Taylor (bass), Joseph Dickens(drums), Cayson Peterson (keyboard/synth) and Micah Brown (guitar/vocals).
They have released three full-length albums, Automatic (2013), Time Bomb (2010) and No Time for Rest (2007), as well as three EPs, Fresh Grounds (2011), Sample This(2008), and New Roots (2006).
The group has been touring nationally since 2008, performing at several high profile festivals including Lollapalooza, Outside Lands, Hangout, Big Guava, Wakarusa, Sunset Strip Music Festival among others.
Imagine Dragons at TD Garden
Imagine Dragons is bringing their Evolve Tour to Boston.
Imagine Dragons has won two American Music Awards for Favorite Alternative Artist, a Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance, five Billboard Music Awards, and a World Music Award.
Imagine Dragons have sold 9 million albums and 27 million singles worldwide.
Janet Jackson at Dunkin' Donuts Center
Janet Jackson is coming back to Providence for the first time since 2015.
Jackson's hits include "Nasty," "Rhythm Nation," "That's the Way Love Goes," "Together Again," and "All for You."
In her career, Jackson has sold more than 100 million records. She is the winner of six Grammy Awards.
Trans-Siberian Orchestra at DCU Center
For the second straight year, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra will be in Worcester. This year, their show is titled "Ghosts of Christmas Eve."
Trans-Siberian Orchestra (TSO) was founded in 1996 by producer Paul O'Neil and have been ranked by Billboard Magazine and Pollstar as one of the top ten ticket-selling bands in the first decade of the new millennium.
TSO gained popularity when they began touring in 1999 after completing their second album.
Since then, the group has released a number of rock operas such as Christmas Eve and Other Stories, The Christmas Attic, Beethoven's Last Night, The Lost Christmas Eve, their two-disc night Castle and Letters From the Labyrinth.
Jay Z at TD Garden
Jay Z is bringing his 4:44 tour to Boston.
Jay-Z holds the record for most number one albums by a solo artist on the US Billboard 200 with 14. He has also had four number ones on the Billboard Hot 100, one ("Empire State of Mind") as the lead artist.
He has sold over 100 million records and won 21 Grammy Awards.
In 2017, Forbes estimated his net worth at $810 million, making him the second-richest hip hop artist in the U.S.
- Hanover Theatre to Celebrate Legacy of Music Worcester
- Music Worcester to Host Fun for All Ages Show at Mechanics Hall in November
- Music Worcester Announces 2017 Young Artist Competitions
- 1st Annual Make Music Worcester to Debut in June
- Women of Note to Host Concert Benefiting Stow Food Pantry
- Disney in Concert Coming to Hanover Theatre
- Pakachoag Music Schools to Host Concert by Sedgewick Family
- 25 Must See Spring & Summer Concerts in New England
- The Concert Capitals of America
- Condit: Dave Chappelle Live In Concert
- Concert Review: Foo Fighters at Fenway
- WICN Celebrating 45th Anniversary with Concert at Mechanics Hall
- The 30 Hottest Spring and Summer Concerts Coming to New England
- Worcester’s Out to Lunch Concert Series Starts Next Week
- Concert Review: John Fogerty at Mohegan Sun
- Tower Hill to Host Members Only Concert on July 21
- 20 Must See Fall Concerts
- Museum of Russian Icons to Host Zolotoj Plyos Concert
- Worcester Chamber Music Society to Play Music of Beethoven in Two Concerts
- 25 Must See Spring & Summer Concerts in New England
- Worcester Announces Out to Lunch Summer Concert Series, Friday Farmer’s Market
- Worcester Chamber Music Society to Host Chamberfest Concert Series at Clark
- Master Singers of Worcester to Perform 40th Anniversary Concert
- Pakachoag Church to Host Free Organ Concert to Welcome Trump as New President
- Horowitz: Springsteen Concert - A Welcome Antidote to the Dispiriting Presidential Campaign
- Cellist Bronstein to Perform Her Joy of Music Faculty Concert November 19
- Chamber of Music Concert Celebrating the Trumpet, Flute & Piano Set for Dec. 11
- Worcester Chamber Music Society to Host Cafe Concert
- 20 Must See Fall Concerts in New England