Organize + Energize: The 5 Biggest Organizing Mistakes
Tuesday, February 04, 2014
You want to get organized, but don’t know where to begin, or maybe you know where to begin and dive head first into your project. Don’t make the mistakes that many have made when they decide to get organized.
Here are the 5 biggest mistakes people make.
Related Slideshow: 5 Organizing Blunders
Avoid these mistakes and your project will take less time than you expected. You won’t be as stressed or as overwhelmed as you anticipated. You will be amazed at what you have accomplished. You will be motivated and energized to tackle another project.
Not planning ahead
Getting organized is a process and you have to have a plan on how to conquer your project. You can’t tear apart an entire room all at once. You need to break the project down into small pieces. Plan to tackle your project in 3-hour increments. If you work longer than 3 hours at a time, you are setting yourself up for burnout. Plan ahead to try to avoid distractions and stay focused.
Purchasing the incorrect supplies
I know you are excited to get organized, but don’t rush out to the store and purchase products just because you like the way they look. Get organized first. Figure out what you need to contain, and then purchase your container to match the items you need it to hold.
Not letting others know about your system
Once you set up the organized system, you have to get everybody in your home on board. Show them the systems and how you are going to function with this system going forward. Label everything if you must, so everybody gets in the habit of putting items away. Remember, the simpler the system, the easier it’s going to be to maintain.
Kristin Carcieri-MacRae, the founder and owner of Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. She has appeared on air on Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio and her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. Kristin's CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to start. She is also available for organizing workshops. Tune into her weekly radio show, Organize, Energize! on Mondays at 8:30am on www.talkstreamradio.com.
- Organize + Energize: 8 Steps For Organizing Your Home Office
- Organize + Energize: How Much Money Have You Lost?
- Organize + Energize: Throwing Out Your Wedding Dress
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Get More Time In Your Day
- Organize + Energize: How To Handle Your Disorganized Teen
- Organize + Energize: What’s In Your Kitchen?
- Organize + Energize: Are You Creating More Work For Yourself?
- Organize + Energize: How To Manage All That Paper
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons To Use A To-Do List
- Organize + Energize: Back To School Family Calendar Ideas
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Holiday Decorations
- Organize + Energize: 5 Simple Ways to Organize Your Email
- Organize + Energize: Clear the Clutter For the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Purge Those Files!
- Organize + Energize: 5 Tips For Easier Back To School Shopping
- Organize + Energize: Dealing With Holiday Stress
- Organize + Energize: Simplify the Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Organize Your Health Records
- Organize + Energize: Get It Together In 2014
- Organize + Energize: The Instant Cure For Disorganization
- Organize + Energize: 7 Easy Steps To An Organized Junk Drawer
- Organize + Energize: Get Organized For the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: The Snowball Effect of Clutter