See Where Worcester Ranks Among Best Cities for St. Patrick’s Day
Monday, March 12, 2018
According to a recent study completed by WalletHub, Worcester is the 47th best city in the U.S. for St. Patrick’s day celebrations out of 200 ranked cities.
“More than 32 million people in the U.S. claim Irish ancestry – that’s over six and a half times the population of Ireland. As this lucky group of people expanded over the centuries, so too did American St. Paddy’s Day traditions. Chicago, for instance, gained fame for dyeing its river green, while other places are now known for their elaborate pageants, pub crawls or long processions of marching bagpipers. Last year, Americans were projected to spend $5.9 billion on the holiday,” said WalletHub.
- 40th Best - St. Patrick’s Day Traditions
- 168th Best - Costs
- 74th Best - Safety & accessibility
- 72nd best - St. Patrick’s Day Weather
Worcester is ranked behind Colorado Springs, Colorado and Washington, D.C. who rank 45th and 46th respectively.
Worcester is ranked head of Olathe, Kansas and Fort Worth, Texas, who rank 48th and 49th respectively.
The best city for St. Patrick’s Day celebrations is Chicago, while the worst city is Moreno Valley, California.
See the Full Rankings in the Map Below
In order to determine the best places to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, WalletHub compared 200 of the most populated U.S. cities across four key dimensions: 1) St. Patrick’s Day Traditions, 2) Costs, 3) Safety & Accessibility and 4) St. Patrick’s Day Weather.
They evaluated those dimensions using 17 relevant metrics. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the best conditions for celebrating the holiday.
They then determined each city’s weighted average across all metrics to calculate its total score and used the resulting scores to rank-order our sample.
St. Patrick’s Day Traditions – Total Points: 50
- St. Patrick’s Day Parades: Full Weight (~4.55 Points)
- Length of St. Patrick’s Day History: Full Weight (~4.55 Points)
- St. Patrick’s Day Parties & Festivals per Capita*: Full Weight (~4.55 Points)
- Share of Irish Population: Triple Weight (~13.64 Points)
- Irish Pubs & Restaurants per Capita*: Triple Weight (~13.64 Points)
- Access to Bars: Full Weight (~4.55 Points)
- Google Search Interest for “St. Patrick’s Day Events”: Full Weight (~4.55 Points)
Costs – Total Points: 20
- Average Price for St. Patrick’s Day Party Ticket: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
- Average Beer Price: Triple Weight (~10.00 Points)
- Lowest Price of a Three-Star Hotel on St. Patrick’s Day Celbrations: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
- Affordable 4+ Star Irish Pubs & Restaurants: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
Safety & Accessibility – Total Points: 20
- Crime Rate: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- DUI-Related Fatalities in Motor Vehicle Crashes per Capita: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- Traffic Congestion: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- Walkability: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
St. Patrick’s Day Weather – Total Points: 10
- Forecasted vs. Average Temperature for St. Patrick’s Day: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- Forecasted Precipitations for St. Patrick’s Day: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
Related Slideshow: 15 Ways to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in New England - 2018
Guinness St. Pat’s 5K at RI State House
The Guinness St. Pat's 5k will start and finish at the Rhode Island Statehouse on Smith Street in Providence RI on Saturday, March 10, 2018, at 11:00 a.m. Walkers are welcome.
All participants that select the option to register for all three Tour de Patrick races online will receive the BONUS Tour de Patrick benie hat.
The event begins at 11 a.m.
Providence St. Patrick's Day Parade
Begins at Smith Street and Hilltop Avenue. The parade will proceed eastwards on Smith Street and end at the Rhode Island State House.
The Mayor of Athlone, Ireland, Aengus O’Rourke and 30 members of the Irish Military Police to attend this year’s Providence St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
The parade begins at 9 a.m.
The Exiles at Jamestown Philomenian Library
The Exiles are a Rhode Island-based trio featuring three members of the band Pendragon who have performed together for almost 30 years.
The Exiles perform dance tunes, songs, waltzes and elaborate on the cultural and historical context of their music while projecting a relaxed and humorous stage presence.
The concert goes from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Dublin Irish Dance "Stepping Ourt" at Mechanics Hall
A dance troupe of world champion Irish step dancers together with a sensational eight-member traditional Irish band and vocalist.
Dublin Irish Dance is an exhilarating company whose members have performed throughout the world with Riverdance, Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance, and Celtic Woman.
Grand Marshall Testimonial Roast at Saint Augustin's Church Hall
Honor Hon. Colleen M. Hastings, Grand Marshal of the annual parade in Honor of St. Patrick. Entertainment, cocktails, and heavy hors d'oeuvres will be provided.
The event goes from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Dropkick Murphys at House of Blues
Boston's own Irish band, The Dropkick Murphys, will be playing concerts all weekend at the House of Blues.
The band is known for songs such as "Shipping Up to Boston," "Tessie," and many more.
The concert begins at 7 p.m.
Celebrating Ireland in Story and Song
Celtic performers Phil Edmonds, Kevin Fallon and Mary King present a program of Irish music, song, and merriment at the Middletown Public Library.
An Irish jig will be taught at the beginning of the program and audience participation is welcome.
The event goes from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Annual St. Patrick's Day Celebration at Midtown Oyster Bar
Join in the celebration on the eve of St. Patrick's Day and the Newport Saint Patrick's Day Parade at Midtown Oyster Bar for our 3rd annual celebration.
Stop by for food (like a Corned Beef Sandwich), beer from Newport Storm, Irish fun, live music from Newport RI Ancient Order of Hibernian's Pipes and Drums, AOH Men's Singers and more.
The event goes from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
ShamRock Fest at Mount Snow
Mount Snow is throwing its annual Irish party for skiers featuring live Irish music, green eggs, and corned beef.
There will also be a Pot O’ Gold scavenger hunt with the grand prize being a season pass to the mountain.
The festival goes from Friday, March 16 to Saturday, March 17.
Newport St. Patrick's Day Parade
Find your best green attire, keep your eyes open for leprechauns, and join in the revelry to celebrate St. Patrick's Day in Newport.
The parade kicks off at 11 a.m. from the Newport City Hall and runs through Washington Square, down Thames Street, and ends at St. Augustine's Church.
Parade will be held rain or shine.
- Massachusetts Ranked 27th for Most Patriotic
- Jets fly past Patriots, 30-27 in OT
- Horowitz: Improving Educational Performance -The Surest Path to Prosperity
- Ask a Bartender: Where are the Best Patio Bars in Worcester?
- MA Ranked Among Least Patriotic States in U.S.
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 46 (Secret Indictments Against Patriarca and Tameleo)
- Holy Cross Rallies Past Loyola 64-57 for 1st Patriot League Win of Season