MA Ranked as One of Most Friendly States in U.S. for Small Business
Wednesday, October 25, 2017
According to a survey conducted by Thumbtack, Massachusetts receives an A- for overall friendliness.
“Massachusetts is very progressive in terms of social welfare, infrastructure, and utilities, so I am lucky to be doing business here,” a Fairhaven Web Developer told Thumbtack.
An HVAC Technician added “it’s been very easy to run my business. I haven’t faced any problems from the state or local governments.”
Massachusetts is graded in the following categories.
- C+: East of starting a business
- C: Ease of hiring
- C+: Regulations
- B+: Health and safety
- B-: Employment, labor and hiring
- C+: Tax code
- B-: Licensing
- B-: Environmental
- B-: Zoning
- B-: Training and networking programs
- D: Government websites
Started in 2012, the Thumbtack Small Business Friendliness Survey is the largest continuous study of small business owners’ perceptions of government policy in the U.S.
“Since 2012, the Thumbtack Small Business Friendliness Survey has surveyed thousands of entrepreneurs on the state and local public policies that affect their ability to start, operate, and grow a business. It is the largest continuous study of small business perceptions of government policy in the United States,” said Thumbtack.
The 2017 survey polled over 13,000 small business owner-operators from across the country on their policy preferences and evaluations of their state and local governments.
Related Slideshow: 20 Ways To Support Small Businesses in Central MA
Grab Some Coffee
20 Front St., Worcester MA
Talyta’s Café has you covered for the most important meal of the day!
Grab some Huevos Rancheros, and egg burrito, or go all out with their breakfast special piled high with home fries, eggs, and toast before you head out to shop your Saturday away.
Grab a Snack
Bahnan’s International Marketplace
344 Pleasant St., Worcester, MA
Don’t have time to sit down to breakfast? Bahnan’s International Marketplace, Bakery and Café is a family-owned business that offers meat pies, fresh breads and some sweet pastries to grab on the go!
They also have a selection of imported teas and coffees to get your morning started.
Photo: Bahnan's International Marketplace
Take a Break
660 Main Street, Worcester, MA
ArtsWorcester hosts exhibits from local artists and promotes them to the public.
Admission into the gallery is always free of charge and they sell art that can suit most budgets.
Support local art on Small Business Saturday with ArtsWorcester!
Grab Some More Lunch
144 Main St, Worcester, MA
Armsby Abbey offers delicious comfort food and a wide selection of Farmstead cheeses to enjoy with their house-baked breads.
Armsby also has delicious sandwiches and soups to warm you up after a blustery shopping day.
Photo: Armsby Abbey
Even More Lunch!
Mezcal Tequila Cantina
20 Central St. Leominster, MA
Add some spice to your day at Mezcal Tequila Cantina.
Come for the guacamole and salsa bar and stay for the generously portioned entrees like their Adobo Chicken Enchiladas and Pulled Pork Tostadas!
Photo: Mezcal Tequila Cantina
Participate in and Event
Small Business Saturday at Annie's Book Shop
Annie's is taking Small Business Saturday to the next level by featuring the Worcester Writers Collaborative, a local organization supporting writers throughout Worcester County, in a collection of readings, signings, and more from 12:00 PM 6:00 PM.
Grab a Drink
90 Harding St., Worcester, MA
Grab a locally crafted beer or seasonal cocktail at The Compass Tavern.
The tavern is home to the largest bar in Worcester - seating 48 at any given time.
Grab some food and begin your weekend at Compass Tavern!
Photo: Compass Tavern
Watch the Game
Whiskey on Water
97 Water St, Worcester
Looking for that perfect place to watch the big football games over the weekend. Whiskey on Water is exactly where you want to be.
Their 32-tap system will feature Worcester largest selection of local and craft and bottled beer. Food will continuously evolve with New England’s first rotating food truck service.
Grab A Late Night Snack
The Banner Bar and Grille
112 Green Street, Worcester
The Banner Bar and Grille is one of the best spots around to get late-night post-bar favorites like nachos piled high with chicken or chili, wings, and melty quesadillas.
The Banner also features music from local DJs every weekend night so you can have your snake and get some entertainment!
- 25 Ways To Support Small Businesses in Central MA
- ShopWoo Today to Help Worcester’s Small Businesses
- Smart Benefits: Fines for Small Business Premium Reimbursement Delayed
- NEW: MA Earns D+ Grade for Small Business Friendliness
- Worcester Gets an “F” for Small Business Friendliness
- Worcester Small Business With Heart: Clark Community Thrift Store
- Worcester Small Business Owners Complete Innovative MBA Program
- MGCC Awards Small Business Assistance Grants to 4 Central MA Orgs
- Smart Benefits: IRS Issues Final Regulation on Small Business Tax Credit
- Smart Benefits: Fines Now In Effect for Small Business Health Plan Reimbursements
- SpencerBANK Named Small Business Lender of Quarter
- Smart Benefits: Cures Act Remedies A Small Business Condition
- 20 Ways To Support Small Businesses in Central MA
- Smart Benefits: Small Businesses May Hold the Key to Employee Happiness
- Two Worcester Small Businesses Receive $525K in Funding
- Smart Benefits: Small Businesses Beware of Proper Worker Classification