Organize + Energize: 4 Reasons People Let Paper Piles Form
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
The reason most paper lands on the dining room table or scattered all over the home is there’s usually no system in place to deal with it. If you don’t have systems in place, it’s time to create them and follow through with maintaining them.
Here are the top 4 answers I get when a client tries to defend their piles. Which category best describes you?
I have more important things to do than file. I will ask my clients what those things are that are more important at the moment and then it will turn into a conversation about how they function throughout the day. Think about how long it takes you to find a document when you need it. If you filed it when you first touched it, it would be in the filing cabinet and you would locate it immediately! No time wasted.
Why file one paper when I can stack all of the filing and tackle all at once? The paper piles become a distraction. The more distractions you have in your home or office, the more apt you are you lose focus and reduce your productivity.
I’m too busy to file right now. If you have the proper filing systems in place, it should take you less than 20 seconds to file a document. If you have those piles that need to be filed away, I can guarantee you will be searching for something that’s in those files. If you have a few different piles of paper, now you don’t know which pile it’s in so you’ve just wasted a half an hour searching for a document. It’s going to take you probably a good hour to file those documents when it would have only initially taken you one minute to file it.
I know exactly what’s in my piles. I am here to say, no you don’t. When going through piles with clients, they think they know what’s in them, but then they find something they’ve been looking for or forgot they had. You may know some things that are in the piles, but trust me, there’s more important information in there than you think. This includes money, credit cards, gift cards and uncashed checks.
Think about how you handle your mail or documents when you receive them. Think about how you function throughout the day. Are you creating more work for yourself? Do you have a process to handle every piece of paper that arrives in your home or office? Do you have working organized systems in place? Take a moment to re-evaluate how you are functioning with your paper and go from being a piler to a filer.
Related Slideshow: Organize + Energize: 2016 Year in Review
6 Productivity Habits My Parents Taught Me When I Was Young
When both parents are disorganized at home, most of the time, their kids are following in their footsteps. The organizational skill set never gets passed down to the kids. If the kids see that it’s ok for mom and dad to live in disorganized spaces, then they believe it’s ok for them too! If you feel you can’t transfer that skill set to your kids, it may be time to call in a professional to help them with the process. You’ll be amazed at how much the kids love the process! I was fortunate to grow up with 2 parents that were organized, efficient and productive. Here are some of the habits they taught me.
6 Reasons You Need to Declutter
Most of my clients think I’m going to come over and tell them that they have to throw out all of their stuff. This is not true. My goal is to get you to become more efficient and productive. If there are things in your home that are no longer useful to you, we have a discussion about them before we get rid of anything. That being said, you have to declutter if you want to move forward. Here are 6 reasons you need to declutter.
Is Your Cluttered Bedroom Killing Your Mood?
How’s the ambiance in your bedroom these days? Clutter in the bedroom is a definite mood killer. You want your bedroom to be a place of serenity, relaxation, and a place to just unwind. Get the paper piles, piles of clothes, toys, bins, and other clutter out of the room and watch the magic happen. Interested? Read how clutter is killing your mood.
Are Your Magazines Collecting Dust?
If you have magazines that are collecting dust, it’s time to throw them out. You may be surprised at how old they are! Again, magazines collecting dust in the bedroom aren’t good for the chi in the room or any other room in the home. Here are some tips on how to control the magazines that enter your home.
Are Your Kids Following Your Lead and Becoming Disorganized?
I love to see kids thrive in an organized home and as discussed in the first slide, it can be difficult to do that if the adults in the home are living in chaos. Watch how you take care of your spaces and see if you’re kids are picking up on your habits. Are your kids picking up on your disorganized habits?
5 Things to do After You've Organized Your Office
You’ve organized your office, now what? It takes work to maintain it. Six months down the road, you don’t want to end up working in disorganized chaos again, right? Put the work in and you’ll find you’re saving time, money, and you’ll be more efficient and productive. Here are 5 things to do after you’ve organized your office.
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways to Survive the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Give Experiences Instead of Things This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: Simplify Your Laundry Routine
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Organize Your Email Inbox
- Organize + Energize: Tips for Organizing Holiday Decorations
- Organize + Energize: Overwhelmed? You’re Not Alone
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Maximize Space in Your Kitchen for the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: 4 Reasons Why I don’t Post Before & After Pictures
- Organize + Energize: 3 Organizing Rrojects to Tackle This Fall
- Organize + Energize: Organize Your Medical Files in 5 Easy Steps
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Maximize Space in Your Home
- Organize + Energize: Plan & Prepare This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 6 Tips to Organize Kid’s Toys Before The Holidays
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Find More Time in Your Day
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: 8 Things Not to do When Packing for Vacation
- Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Stay Focused at Work
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in March
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Memorabilia
- Organize + Energize: Is Your Nightstand Giving you Nightmares?
- Organize + Energize: 2016 Year in Review
- Organize + Energize: 9 Reasons You Need to get Organized Now!
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: How Much do You Need to be Happy?
- Organize + Energize: 3 Ways Being Organized Will Help You Become More Efficient & Productive!