World Languages Storytime Festival Set for Saturday at Worcester Public Library
Friday, August 26, 2016
The event will include storytelling in Spanish, Albanian, Vietnamese and Portugese and will be accompanied by musical entertainment, face painting and refreshments.
The Worcester Public Library has been offering World Languages Storytimes in Vietnamese and Portugese for the last two years .
“It is important to be inclusive in offering these and all types of services to children and families. This grant gave us the opportunity to develop a reciprocal relationship between the Library and these communities. While attending World Language Storytimes they have become aware of the Library’s rich services, and we have learned through the presenters and participants the value of their communities to our library,” said Iris Delgado, Youth Services Manager.
Saturday’s event will include guest performances from the Southeast Asian Coalition and members from Worcester’s Brazilian Festival.
History of the Event
World Languages Storytimes began in October 2014. This two year project made it possible for kids and families who don't come to the library often to be exposed to the Library and its services while attending story times in their own language.
it also allowed this new audience to engage in other cultural and educational events at the library.
Community members were invited to take part as presenters conducted story times in their native languages with the help of a Children's Librarian.
- JFK Library to Host Naturalization Ceremony for 200 Immigrants on Tuesday
- Monfredo: Black History, Alive and Well in Worcester, Visit Our Library and See
- Worcester Library Initiative Named as 2015 Harvard Ash Center Bright Idea
- UPDATE: Worcester State Bomb Threat Cleared, Library Re-Opened
- Worcester Library Initiative Wins 2015 Nonprofit Excellence Award
- Worcester Public Library to Honor Black Veterans
- Major ‘Detrimental’ Changes For Worcester Law Library Stopped by WCBA
- John Monfredo: Worcester’s One City, One Library Launches
- Abraham Lincoln Exhibition Coming To Worcester Public Library
- Monfredo: Worcester East Middle Library Transformed into Something Special
- John Monfredo: Worcester Library Foundation, An Asset to the City
- Monfredo: Burncoat Middle School Library Transformed Into Something Special…
- Worcester’s One City, One Library Branches to Have Revised Summer Hours
- Worcester Public Library Announces Summer Reading Program Schedule
- Magician George Saterial to Perform at Worcester Public Library
- Worcester Public Library to Host Major Taylor World Champion Program
- Harry Potter Weekend Begins on July 21 at Worcester Public Library
- Bravehearts to Hold Baseball Clinic at Worcester Public Library on Friday
- Monfredo: North High Library Dedicated To Dr. Loughlin… Well Deserved!
- Worcester Public Library Set to Kick-Off Summer Reading Program
- Worcester Public Library Changing Hours of 2 Branches
- Worcester Public Library to host 2nd Annual Local Author Fair & Bookfest April 2
- Bomb Threat at Worcester Public Library Leads to Arrest of Worcester Male
- Friends of Worcester Public Library to Hold Annual Book Sale on April 29 & 30
- Worcester Public Library & Branches to Have New Hours for 2016-17 School Year