Gov. Baker Establishes Latino Advisory Commission, Swears in Members
Wednesday, July 12, 2017
The commission will focus on addressing the concerns of the Massachusetts Latino community and promoting economic prosperity and well-being.
“The members of our Latino Advisory Commission each bring a depth of experience and diversity to the table, and I look forward to their recommendations. Our administration is committed to creating opportunities all our citizens in every corner of the Commonwealth to drive economic growth and success, and I’m confident this commission will add meaningful value to our goal to make Massachusetts the best place to live, work and raise a family,” said Governor Charlie Baker.
Members of the Commission include gubernatorial appointees with varying expertise in business, community outreach, media, law, health care, education and represent a group diverse in gender, race, industry, region, age and education.
The Commission will also include the involvement of the secretariats for Education, Health and Human Services, Housing and Economic Development, Public Safety and Security and Labor and Workforce Development.
Appointees will serve for a term of four years. Josie Stamatos Martinez, Senior Partner and General Counsel of Employee Benefit Solutions will serve as Chair and Robert Harnais, owner of Mahoney & Harnais will serve as Vice-Chair.
The Commission will review and assess the priorities of the Latino community on a statewide basis and make recommendations to the Governor and Lt. Governor by identifying up to three priority areas to be addressed by the Commission over the course of the next two years.
The Commission will meet at least quarterly and will submit a formal written report on its work, findings, methodology, and recommendations as well as metrics to measure the effects of implemented recommendations on the lives of members of the Latino community in Massachusetts to the Governor and Lt. Governor every two years.
See the members below:
Latino Advisory Commission
Josie Stamatos Martinez
Senior Partner and General Counsel, Employee Benefit Solutions
Owner, Mahoney & Harnais
Director of Diversity & Inclusion, Partners HealthCare
General Counsel and Vice President of Operations, Fisher College
President, Beauchamp & Associates
Executive Director, Small Can Be Big Inc.
President, Framingham State University
Albie Alvarez Cote
Director, Financial Education Institute
Founding Executive Director, One Goal Massachusetts
Co-Founder and CEO, Latinos for Education
Senior Vice President, Investment Manager Services, State Street Corporation
Vice President, League of United Latin American Citizens
Samalid M. Hogan
Director, Western Regional Office of the MA Small Business Development Center
Partner & Chief Investment Officer, Single Point Partners
Vice President, Quality Engineering, Eastern Bank
Vice President of Business Diversity, Tufts Health Plan
Area Manager of Wireline Network Operations & Engineering, Verizon
Vice President, Resource Management Inc.
Vice President of Community Relations, UMass Memorial Hospital
Juan Carlos Morales
Founder, Surfside Capital Advisors LLC
Chief Operating Officer, Partners for Community
Principal, Holyoke Community Charter School
Mayor of Lawrence
Mary Skelton Roberts
Senior Program Officer for the Environment, Barr Foundation
Founder and Partner, Sanchez & Santiago CPAs
Program Officer, Teen Development, Hyams Foundation
President and CEO, El Mundo Newspaper
- Gov. Baker Plans to File $4 Million for Community Compact Grants
- Baker Announces $12 Million in Federal Funding to Speed Up Deployment of Electric Cars
- MA Dem Chair Bickford Blasts Baker for Lack of Comments on Trump Administration
- Warren Names Baker National Security Advisor for Washington DC Office
- Baker Releases Progress Report on Preschool Expansion Initiative
- MA Dem Party Chair Calls for Baker to Restore Cuts
- Gov. Baker Welcomes 5 New Southcoast Employers to MA [email protected] Program
- Baker Names Former Worcester City Manager to UMASS Trustees
- Baker Announces Delegation for Israeli Economic Development Mission
- Baker, MassTech Sign Cybersecurity Agreement With Israel’s Cyberspark
- Baker Announces 11 a.m. Start Time for Non-Emergency State Employees
- Baker, State Leaders Release Report on Criminal Justice Reform in MA
- Governor Baker Launches Tuition-Free College Program
- Baker Signs $290 Million Bill to Fund Transportation
- Gov. Baker to Hold Community Listening Session to Address Aging in MA
- LePage “Crooner Cookie” at Crown Bakery to Benefit Safe Homes
- Markey & Baker: Eloquence on Alzheimers
- Baker Administration Receives “C” Grade for Environmental Protection
- Baker Files Legislation to Increase Penalties for Assault of Police Officers
- Baker Announces Two Judicial Nominations
- Robert Whitcomb: Raimondo’s No-Bid Contract, Gov. Baker’s MBTA, and Spring
- Gov. Baker Awards Green Communities Designation Grants to Central MA Towns
- Baker Awards Grants to Fitchburg, Leominster Police to Fight Opioid Abuse
- Baker Administration Sets 200 Megawatt-Hour Energy Storage Target