MA Ranked Among Best States for Teachers in U.S.
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
According to a recent study completed by WalletHub, Massachusetts is the 13th best state in the country for teachers.
“Teaching can be a profoundly rewarding career, considering the critical role educators play in shaping young minds. But many teachers find themselves overworked and underpaid. Education jobs are among the lowest-paying occupations requiring a bachelor’s degree, and teacher salaries consistently fail to keep up with inflation. Meanwhile, the Every Student Succeeds Act demands growth in student performance,” said WalletHub.
- 28th Best - Opportunity & Competition
- 5th Best - Academic & Work Environment
- 1- Best School System
Massachusetts is ranked behind Utah and Virginia, who rank 11th and 12th overall.
Massachusetts is ranked ahead of Alaska and Missouri, who rank 14th and 15th overall.
The best state in the country for teachers is New York, while the worst state in the country for teachers is Hawaii.
See the full rankings in the map below
In order to determine the teacher-friendliest states in the U.S., WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across two key dimensions, “Opportunity & Competition” and “Academic & Work Environment.”
They evaluated the two dimensions using 22 relevant metrics. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the most favorable conditions for living and working as a teacher.
Finally, WalletHub determined each state and the District’s weighted average across all metrics to calculate its overall score and used the resulting scores to rank-order our sample.
Opportunity & Competition - Total Points: 70
- Average Starting Salary for Teachers: Full Weight (~7.00 Points)
- Average Salary for Teachers: Full Weight (~7.00 Points)
- Teachers’ Income Growth Potential: Full Weight (~7.00 Points)
- 10-Year Change in Teacher Salaries: Full Weight (~7.00 Points)
- Average Teacher Pension: Full Weight (~7.00 Points)
- Share of New Teachers with Inadequate Pensions: Full Weight (~7.00 Points)
- Projected Teacher Competition in Year 2026: Full Weight (~7.00 Points)
- Public-School Enrollment Growth: Full Weight (~7.00 Points)
- Teacher Tenure Protections: Full Weight (~7.00 Points)
- Share of Uncertified Teachers: Full Weight (~7.00 Points)
Academic & Work Environment - Total Points: 30
- Quality of School System: Triple Weight (~7.20 Points)
- Pupil-Teacher Ratio: Full Weight (~2.40 Points)
- Public-School Spending per Student: Full Weight (~2.40 Points)
- Presence of Annual Teacher-Evaluation Requirement: Full Weight (~2.40 Points)
- Presence of Teacher-Effectiveness Requirement: Full Weight (~2.40 Points)
- Projected Share of Teacher Turnover: Full Weight (~2.40 Points)
- Teacher Union Strength: Full Weight (~2.40 Points)
- Teacher Safety: Full Weight (~2.40 Points)
- Share of Teachers Who Feel Supported by Their Administrator: Full Weight (~2.40 Points)
- Average Commute Time: Half Weight (~1.20 Points)
- Prevalence of Childhood Disadvantage: Half Weight (~1.20 Points)
- Working Mom-Friendliness: Half Weight (~1.20 Points)
- Worcester’s Teachers Feel Pressure of Potential Performance-Based Licensing
- Worcester’s Teachers Union Hosting “Moratorium on PARCC” Session
- Massachusetts Has 3rd Highest Salaries for Elementary School Teachers in US
- Turtleboy: Lack of Teachers and Students at North High Meeting is a ‘Disgrace’
- Two Worcester East Middle Teachers Chosen for NASA Program
- Worcester Teachers Union Decry Public School Testing Decision
- MA Charter School Association Skeptical of Teachers Unionizing
- In Case You Missed It: Highest Paid Teachers in Central MA
- Skywatching: Sunspot Count Project Challenge for MA Teachers
- John Monfredo: Appreciation Week: Thanking Teachers and Nurses
- Worcester Teachers Lack Diversity Compared to Student Body
- Boone’s Action Plan Criticized By North Teachers and School Committee Members
- Do Worcester Public School Teachers Lack Diversity?
- MA Teachers Union: Public Schools Will Pay Charter Schools $419 Million This Year
- MA Ranked #1 Best State for Teachers
- MA Teachers Unions & Education Associations Team to Support Transgender Protections
- Monfredo: Our Community Heroes, Teachers & Nurses - Say Thank You!
- MA Ranked 2nd Best State in Country for Teachers
- Worcester Teachers Take Off to Stratosphere with NASA
- Monfredo: New School Year, We Wish Our New Teachers Success
- Monfredo: Honoring Our Unsung Heroes This Week, Our Teachers and Nurses
- Teachers Union Submits Endorsements of School Committee Candidates
- Monfredo: Worcester Future Teachers Program Alive and Well at South High
- Organize + Energize: Teachers - It’s Time to Organize Your Classroom