Congress Must Investigate Russian Hacking, Matt Fecteau, MINDSETTER™
Monday, December 19, 2016
During the campaign season, the intelligence community concluded that Russia was behind a number of cyber-attacks. The American government accused Russian sponsored actors of hacking critical voting systems, Clinton's campaign emails, and Democratic party servers then distributing this information through Wikileaks, but believed it was to undermine American confidence in democracy.
A newly disclosed intelligence finding has shed doubt on the pervious finding. Specifically, the C.I.A. has determined that Russian sponsored actors hacked the Republican party servers, but withheld any disclosures to influence the election in favor of Mr. Donald Trump.
In addition, we still don’t know the extent of the hacking. Were there other servers hacked? Did Russia hack Trump’s servers as well? Does Russia have potentially explosive opposition research on our future President?
This is not a far reach for Russia. Russia has been known to meddle in liberal democracies across the world to elected pro-Russian leaders with more equitable policies. The current President of Russia, Vladimir Putin, worked for the Soviet spy agency, the KGB. This is nothing new.
This should not be a political issue; there is a real potential a foreign country, antagonistic toward American interests influenced our election. Whether a Clinton or Trump supporter, any potential for hostile action that adversely undermines, or much worse, manipulates our democracy should be probed and scrutinized.
Congress has a duty to investigate Russian cyber-attacks on our democracy. We need to have a serious and expansive probe to determine the extent of the meddling in our election. This isn’t political; if Mrs. Clinton was elected president, I would demand the same accountability. We owe it to ourselves and our democracy to ensure that there is no question about the outcome.
- Fecteau: Is Obama or Bush to blame for the Rise of Islamic State?
- Fecteau: Until We Act on Gun Violence, Expect More Ungodly Death
- Matt Fecteau: Dear Trump Supporters, This isn’t a Reality TV Show
- Fecteau: Why Doesn’t President Obama Say Radical Islam?
- Fecteau: Guns are the Problem
- Matt Fecteau: Iraqis Need to Find the Will to Fight
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Matt Fecteau: The Curious Case of Bowe Bergdahl
- Worcester’s 10 Coolest People: Robert Fecteau, Owner of BirchTree Bread Company
- Matt Fecteau: Should Boston Bomber Tsarnaev be Condemned to Die?
- Matt Fecteau: Let’s Talk About Online Voting
- Fecteau: Orlando Was Just the Beginning
- Fecteau: About Clinton’s Damn Emails
- Cuba After Castro, MINDSETTER™ Matt Fecteau
- Fecteau: Clinton Should Participate in a Recount
- Fecteau: Abolish the Electoral College
- Fecteau: Trump’s Big Business Boondoggle
- Fecteau: The Futile Anti-Trump Protests
- Fecteau: Trump As President
- Fecteau: Trump’s Taxes
- Fecteau: Trump’s Reckoning
- Fecteau: Democrats’ Dystopia
- Fecteau: After Mosul
- Fecteau: Still Hungover From Iraq