McGovern to Take YWCA Supervisor Huard to State of the Union
Tuesday, January 30, 2018
Huard is a domestic violence survivor and focuses on Domestic Violence Services at the YWCA, where she also serves as a Child and Youth Advocate.
“Every year at the State of the Union, I am proud to welcome one of Massachusetts’ many unsung heroes who serve our communities with pride and lift up families in need. This year I am proud to host Tara Huard as my State of the Union guest to recognize the incredible work she does for victims of domestic violence. One in three women and one in four men are projected to experience domestic violence in their lifetime and millions of survivors need and deserve our fullest support. I am honored to have Tara join me tomorrow night to help raise awareness and urge Congress to do more to ensure our communities have the resources they need to help the many families who are affected by domestic violence every year,” said McGovern.
Huard is the Supervisor of Outreach and Prevention for the YWCA, Central Massachusetts, Domestic Violence Services, where she also serves as a Child/Youth Advocate.
“Domestic Violence is an epidemic that impacts our entire community, regardless of race, gender, age, income or sexual orientation. It is through the strength and resilience of our participants that we are gaining a better understanding of the barriers they experience and finding innovative ways to support their entire well-being, while striving to build safer, healthier futures for all. I am honored to join Congressman McGovern at this year’s State of the Union. We are grateful for his consistent leadership and partnership in ensuring that we have the resources needed to support and empower survivors,” said Huard.
She started working at the YW in December of 2014 as a Domestic Violence Advocate providing counseling and advocacy for victims and survivors, as well running domestic violence education classes and support groups.
She was also the Prevention Advocate for the North Central Mass region, providing community education and prevention workshops for schools and organizations within the community.
Huard attended Becker College’s Accelerated Psychology Program all while balancing being a single mother raising two boys and working full time.
After graduating from Becker with a Bachelor’s of Science in Psychology, she began her career at the YWCA.
- McGovern, Petty Send Letter to Trump Criticizing Executive Orders on Immigration
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Budget Proposal “Reckless”
- McGovern Says Passing Trumpcare “Requires Heart of Stone”
- Congressman McGovern Slams Republican Party Over Latest Shutdown Threat
- McGovern Calls GOP Healthcare Bill Process a “Goddamn Mess”
- McGovern Reintroduces Bill Overturning Citizens United
- McGovern Wraps Up Trip to Cuba to Promote U.S. Economic Development
- McGovern Blasts GOP Efforts to Cut Food Assistance to the Poor
- McGovern Honors Worcester Military Service Veteran McGrath Jr.
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Congressman McGovern: America Cannot Afford Trump’s Nuclear Arms Race
- McGovern Joins Petition to Force Vote on Independent Investigation Into Trump-Russia Ties
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Proposed Budget “Heartless”
- McGovern Leads 43-Mile Hunger March Across Western MA
- McGovern, Congress Members Demand Answers on Health of Narragansett Bay
- McGovern Announces That MA Walk to Fight Hunger Raises Over 236K
- McGovern Blasts Passage of Republican Tax Bill
- McGovern Calls for Heating Assistance During Winter Storm
- McGovern Blasts Trump for Decertifying the Iran Deal