McGovern Calls Trump’s Budget Proposal “Reckless”
Friday, March 17, 2017
McGovern released the following statement on the proposal on Thursday.
Read the Statement Below
“President Trump talks about helping America’s forgotten men and women, but his reckless budget does just the opposite. In my 20 years in Congress, I have never seen such a heartless, cruel, and dangerous budget. America has a proud tradition of stepping up to make investments needed to keep us safe, strengthen our economy, and lift up the least among us. President Trump’s budget takes a butcher’s knife to these vital programs and devastates working families across the country.
The President’s budget asks the American people to pay billions for the construction of a border wall while decimating America’s investments in jobs, education, clean energy and lifesaving medical research. President Trump talks about creating jobs, but he is cutting the education and skills training programs that enable our workers to secure the good-paying jobs they need to succeed in today’s economy. The very programs that help middle class families most are those that are hit the hardest.
America has a responsibility to show strong leadership on the world stage. President Trump’s drastic cuts to the State Department and vital diplomacy and humanitarian efforts like the McGovern-Dole international school feeding program is a dangerous step backward that weakens our role as a global leader.
President Trump’s budget shifts the burden off of the wealthy and special interests and puts it on the backs of the middle class and the many hardworking families trying to get there. Cuts to economic development funding for urban and rural areas as well as critical housing programs will weaken our economy and communities. President Trump’s cuts to programs that literally help to feed seniors, women, and children and keep low-income families warm during the winter months is one of the cruelest things I’ve ever seen.
A president’s budget is a message to the American people about what their values are. Today President Trump is declaring that Republicans’ top priority is giving tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans while taking essential services away from everyone else.”
Related Slideshow: Trump Inauguration
- McGovern Speaks on Overnight Stay at Homeless Shelter
- GoLocalWorcester: 1-on-1 with Cong. McGovern on Worcester Homelessness
- McGovern Meets With 2015 Congressional App Challenge Winners for MA
- Congressman McGovern Visits Worcester as Part of Affordable Housing Tour
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan
- McGovern Blasts Republican Bill Forcing SNAP Recipients to Pass Drug Test
- McGovern, Members of Congress Call For War Debate in Letter to Speaker Ryan
- McGovern Blasts House GOP Bill Taking Healthcare Away From 22 Million Americans
- McGovern to Host Central MA Muslim Community Leader at State of Union
- McGovern Calls Out Speaker Ryan Over Block Grant System
- McGovern Approves of Obama’s $1.1 Billion to Address Opioid Epidemic
- Congressman McGovern Praises Massachusetts for Efforts to Reduce Food Waste
- Congressman McGovern Honors Officer Tarentino on House Floor
- McGovern Honors Worcester Military Service Veteran McGrath Jr.
- McGovern Blasts GOP Efforts to Cut Food Assistance to the Poor
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Congressman McGovern: America Cannot Afford Trump’s Nuclear Arms Race
- McGovern Wraps Up Trip to Cuba to Promote U.S. Economic Development
- LePage Receives Congressional Recognition from McGovern for New England Pride TV
- McGovern Calls Out Republicans for Failure to Act on Public Health Crises
- McGovern Blasts Speaker Ryan’s Poverty Agenda
- McGovern Attends House Democrats Sit-in Demanding Action Against Gun Violence
- Congressman McGovern to Help Community Servings Serve 100,000th Meal
- McGovern Approves of Obama Administration’s Call for $1.1 Billion to Address Opioids
- McGovern Reintroduces Bill Overturning Citizens United