video: McGovern Blasts Speaker Ryan’s Poverty Agenda
Thursday, June 09, 2016
See the Video Below
“It looks like it was pieced together in the basement of Trump Tower because it does nothing to help lift people up and does everything to help put people down. And enough is enough.There’s no difference between what the House Republicans are proposing and what Donald Trump is proposing on the campaign trail. They don’t have a clue about what it’s like to be poor in this country. And Democrats are going to stand up and fight them. Democrats have solutions that could actually help get people out of poverty and put people back to work," said McGovern.
McGovern goes on to question things that he feels everyone should be talking about.
“Why aren’t we talking about raising the minimum wage to a livable wage? Why aren’t we talking about ways to make work pay so that people don’t have to be in poverty. But that’s not what’s in the Republican plan," McGovern said.
McGovern concluded, "So I hope it is clear to everyone, even those who have a quick glance at the proposal that Speaker Ryan has released that it basically amounts to nothing new. Nothing innovative. Certainly nothing bipartisan. And my hope is that none of the stuff he’s proposed will go anywhere.
And finally, I’ll just say, to keep on doing this, to keep on scapegoating poor people, to keep on beating up on poor people is just a lousy thing to do.”
- Congressman McGovern Approves of $133 Million in Energy Assistance
- Congressman McGovern Visits and Reads to Local Webster Students
- Congressman McGovern Names Chandler Chief of Staff
- Governor Baker No on Syrian Refugees, McGovern Yes
- McGovern Forces Vote on Legislation to Keep Guns From Terrorists
- McGovern Honors Vietnam Vet Bob LaRose with Army Medals
- McGovern and Petty Release Statements on Worcester Shootings
- Congressman McGovern to Help Plant 14 Trees at Roosevelt School in Worcester
- McGovern Leads Groundbreaking for New Bike Path in Worcester
- Is Mayoral Race a Precursor to Gaffney Challenging McGovern?
- Nancy Pelosi and Rep. McGovern To Hold Hunger Roundtable
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Jim McGovern, U.S. Congressman
- McGovern Blasts House GOP Bill Taking Healthcare Away From 22 Million Americans
- McGovern Meets With 2015 Congressional App Challenge Winners for MA
- McGovern Speaks on Overnight Stay at Homeless Shelter
- Congressman McGovern Visits Worcester as Part of Affordable Housing Tour
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan
- Congressman McGovern Praises Massachusetts for Efforts to Reduce Food Waste
- GoLocalWorcester: 1-on-1 with Cong. McGovern on Worcester Homelessness
- McGovern Blasts Republican Bill Forcing SNAP Recipients to Pass Drug Test
- McGovern to Host Central MA Muslim Community Leader at State of Union
- McGovern Calls Out Speaker Ryan Over Block Grant System
- McGovern Approves of Obama’s $1.1 Billion to Address Opioid Epidemic
- McGovern, Members of Congress Call For War Debate in Letter to Speaker Ryan
- Congressman McGovern Honors Officer Tarentino on House Floor