video: Moreland’s 3-Run Home Run Leads Red Sox Past Reds 5-0
Sunday, September 24, 2017
Mitch Moreland put the game away today! �� pic.twitter.com/Ssr8tn07yS— Red Sox (@RedSox) September 24, 2017
Rodriguez has given up two or fewer runs in each of his last four starts. He gave up three singles and two walks in 7 2/3 innings en route to his 6th win of the season.
The Red Sox improve to 90-64 on the season. They maintain a four game lead over the Yankees in the AL East.
This is the second straight year in which the Red Sox reached 90 wins.
Red Sox Cruise Past Reds
Leading 1-0 after a Brock Holt sacrifice fly scored Xander Bogaerts in the first inning, the Red Sox broke the game open in the sixth.
With Holt and Andrew Benintendi on base, Moreland hit a three-run home run to center field to give the Red Sox a 4-0 lead.
Prior to the home run, Moreland was in an 0-for-19 slump. The home run was only his second of September.
Benintendi added an RBI single in the seventh to give Boston a 5-0 lead.
The Red Sox and Reds wrap up their series on Sunday, September 24 at 1 p.m.
The pitching matchup is Boston’s Doug Fister against Cincinnati’s Jackson Stephens.
The Red Sox (90-64) have won 90+ games in 13 of the last 20 years (1998-2017), tied with NYY for the most 90-win seasons in that time.— Red Sox Notes (@SoxNotes) September 23, 2017
Luke Farrell the first player to face his manager father since Moises Alou of Cubs played against Felipe’s Giants in May & August, 2004.— Reds Media Relations (@RedsPR) September 23, 2017
Related Slideshow: The History of Baseball in Central Massachusetts
Baseball and Central Mass. go way back - to the 1860s. The local historical landmarks range from Mudville to Hotel Vernon to Fitton Field. A version of these highlights is posted on the site of the new, yet-to-be-formally-named Worcester Baseballteam of the three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.
First Perfect Game
The first perfect game in the history of Major League Baseball was pitched in Worcester, on June 12, 1880, by J. Lee Richmond for the Worcester Worcesters – also known at various times as the Brown Stockings and the Ruby Legs - versus the Cleveland Blues at the Worcester Driving Park Grounds, located in the Worcester Agricultural Fairgrounds near Elm Park. Worcester joined the National League in 1880, replacing the failed Syracuse Stars.
NE Collegiate Baseball
A New England Collegiate Baseball League team played in Leominster from 1995 to 1999. Called the Central Mass. Collegians, they won the NECBL Championship in both 1995 and 1996, and During the 1995 season, they played a game against the Cuban National Youth Team in Worcester.
Wachusett Dirt Dawgs
The Wachusett Dirt Dawgs, who play at historic, and newly renovated, Doyle Field in Leominster, are a 2012 expansion franchise in the now-three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.The Dirt Dawgs’ 2013 season swung into action on June 5 with big expectations, but ended on August 8 with those hopes being dashed. They finished in the basement, with a record of 20-31 - 14 games behind first-place the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks (38-18). The team is owned by prominent Leominster businessman John Morrison, who also founded, owns and operates Fosta-Tek Optics in Leominster.
Last month, the Futures Collegiate Baseball League announced the formation of the Worcester Baseball franchise, which will play its first season next summer. The team is owned by the family that owns and operates Creedon and Co. The prominent Worcester catering service will be the food-and-beverage vendor at home games at Fitton Field, at the College of the Holy Cross. Through Octobert 25, Worcester Baseball is conducting a name-the-team competition.
- Holliday’s 3-Run Home Run Lifts Yankees Over Red Sox 5-1
- Red Sox Use Long Ball to Beat Yankees 4-1
- Red Sox Blown Out by Yankees 9-2, Lose Series 3-1
- Porcello Picks Up MLB-Worst 16th Loss as Red Sox Fall 10-4 to Blue Jays
- Ramirez’s Walk-Off RBI Single Gives Red Sox 3-2 Win Over Toronto in 19 Innings
- Red Sox Manage Only 4 Hits, Fall 6-2 to Yankees
- Moreland’s 4 RBIs Leads Red Sox to Series Sweep of Blue Jays
- Red Sox Drop 3rd Straight Game, Shut Out by Orioles 7-0
- Red Sox Fall 2-1 to Orioles, AL East Lead Cut to 2.5 Games
- Vazquez’s Two-Run Home Run, 4 Hits Lifts Red Sox Over Blue Jays 6-5
- Sale Becomes Fastest to 1,500 Strikeouts, Red Sox Beat Blue Jays 3-0
- Fister’s 9 Strikeouts Helps Red Sox to 6-1 Win Over Blue Jays
- Betts’ 3-Run Home Run Helps Red Sox Cruise Past Rays 9-3
- Price Returns, Red Sox Fall to Rays 3-2
- Porcello Pitches 7 Shutout Innings, Red Sox Beat Rays 3-1
- Benintendi’s 2- RBI Single Lifts Red Sox Over Orioles 10-8 in 11 Innings
- Bradley Jr. Scores on Wild Pitch, Red Sox Edge Orioles 1-0 in 11 Innings
- Sale Reaches 300 Strikeouts, Red Sox Cruise Past Orioles 9-0
- Red Sox Rally for 7 Runs in 15th to Beat Rays 13-6
- Benintendi’s 3 RBIs Lead Red Sox Past A’s 6-2
- Pedroia Homers, Red Sox Cruise Past Rays 9-0
- Red Sox Manage Only 5 Hits, Fall to Rays 4-1
- Betts Records 6 RBIs, Red Sox Cruise Past A’s 11-1
- Red Sox Fall to A’s 7-3
- Devers’ Three-Run Home Run Lifts Red Sox Over Reds 5-4