Pro Hockey is Returning to Worcester in 2017
Tuesday, February 09, 2016
“We are pleased to welcome Worcester to the ECHL. Cliff Rucker made a very impressive presentation to our Board of Governors. He laid out a strong business plan that has broad-based community support and is prepared to take the proper lead time to execute a successful introduction," said ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna.
Cliff Rucker is principal and owner of Worcester Pro Hockey.
“I am honored to be representing the city of Worcester and Central Massachusetts as the 29th member of the ECHL and look forward to working with our staff to put together a winning team that serves as a great ambassador of our region throughout the United States and Canada,” said Rucker.
The first puck drop for the new franchise is set for the 2017-18 season, a season that also marks the 30th anniversary of the ECHL.
The team name and logo will be announced at a fan fest that is set to take place on April 3, 2016, at the DCU Center. The fan fest will include free skating, live music and food.
For more about pro hockey in Worcester, click here.
The ECHL is one of two minor leagues recognized by the collective bargaining agreement between the National Hockey League (NHL) and the National Hockey League Players Association.
The ECHL has seen 586 players go on to play in the NHL, 17 of whom made their NHL debuts during the 2015-16 season.
The ECHL has affiliations with 25 of 30 NHL teams in 2015-16, marking it's 19th consecutive season that the league has had affiliations with at last 20 NHL teams.
- Central Mass Hockey Goes for Bay State Bronze
- Central Mass Hockey Enjoys Home Ice in Bay State Games
- Bob Lobel: Hockey Parents Belong in the Penalty Box
- Bob Lobel: Spring Hockey Fever
- DCU Center Selected to Host 2016 NCAA Hockey Northeast Regionals
- Report: Providence, Not Worcester, A Top 10 Hockey City
- NEW: Teams Announced For NCAA Hockey 2012 Championship at DCU Center
- Boston’s a Hockey Town Once Again!
- GAME ON Boys Hockey Highlights
- NEW: Brown Hockey Players Save Kids From Drowning; How It Happened
- NEW: BU Pres. Hockey Email Leaked to GoLocalWorcester
- AHL Game Erupts Into Classic Hockey Brawl In Final Minute Sunday
- The Greatest Massachusetts Olympic Hockey Players
- Worcester Hockey Rink Proposal Blasted by Canal District Leader
- Nichols College Men’s Hockey Raises Over $4,400 for Movember Foundation
- Pro Hockey Could be on it’s Way Back to Worcester
- Shrewsbury Youth Hockey to Host 1st Annual Pond Hockey Tournament
- Burncoat’s O’Connor Named MA High School Hockey All-Star
- Gronkowski Spikes Hockey Puck Prior to Bruins Game
- NCAA Ice Hockey Regionals set
- Catch the NCAA Division I Hockey Northeast Game With Your WOO Card
- Former Friar new hockey coach at Holy Cross
- Turtleboy: Can Minor League Hockey Even Work in Worcester?