1.1 Million Massachusetts Residents Expected to Travel 4th of July Weekend
Wednesday, June 29, 2016
Those numbers represent the highest 4th of July travel volume on record and 5 million more travelers than Memorial Day weekend. AAA defines the holiday travel period as Thursday, June 30 to Monday, July 4.
“Spurred by the lowest gas prices since 2005, more people than ever are planning to travel this Independence Day weekend. Whether they’re traveling by car, plane, train, or cruise ship, it will be exciting to see so many Americans celebrating our nation’s freedom with their friends and family over the long holiday weekend,” said Mary Maguire, Director of Public and Legislative Affairs at AAA Northeast.
Drivers in the U.S. have saved about $20 billion on gasoline so far this year compared to the same period in 2015. The national average for a gallon of gasoline is $2.31, which is 47 cents less than a year ago.
“2016 could be a record-breaking year for summertime travel. This trend is welcome news for the travel industry and a sign that Americans are taking to our nation’s highways and skies like never before,” said Maguire.
AAA's projections are based on economic forecasting and research by IHS Global Insight.
- Travel Back to the Middle Ages at WAM’s Family Day This Weekend
- Organize + Energize: Smart Packing For Spring Travel
- Thanksgiving Travel Expected to Decrease in MA This Year
- Don’t Miss: Worcester Regional Airport’s Travel Show
- Becker College President Traveled With Gov. Patrick Overseas
- New England Vintage Chic: Five Tips For Smart Travelling
- Leonardo Angiulo: The Governor’s Authority to Issue a Travel Ban
- ALPHA MALE: Smart Packing for Summer Travel
- NEW: Mass. Dems.Travel to Springfield to Endorse Senate Candidate
- Tips for Traveling with Your Fine Jewelry
- The Cellar: Traveling Loire
- Sweet’s Alina Eisenhauer to Host Travel and Food Reality TV Show
- Summer Travel is Coming - Which States Tourism Campaign is Most Alluring?
- Over 4.3 Million New Englanders Expected to Travel for Holidays
- Worcester Ranks at Bottom of National List for Summer Travel Destination
- Pet Safety Tips for Memorial Day Weekend Travel
- The Best Holidays to Travel
- Thanksgiving Travel in 4 Charts
- See the List: The 10 Most Traveled Structurally Deficient Bridges in MA
- Governor Baker Lifts Travel Ban at Midnight
- AAA Travel Marketplace to Take Place March 6-8
- Over 37 Million Americans Expected to Travel this Memorial Day
- Over 37 Million Americans Expected to Travel Over Memorial Day Weekend
- Better Business Bureau Offers Tips on Protecting Pets During Summer Travel