Nearly 1 Million MA Residents Expected to Travel Memorial Day Weekend
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
AAA reports that of the 1 million MA residents, 900,000 are expected to drive the year, while 36.6 million Americans across the country will drive to their destination.
“The highest gas prices since 2014 won’t keep travelers home this Memorial Day weekend. A strong economy and growing consumer confidence are giving Americans all the motivation they need to kick off what we expect to be a busy summer travel season with a Memorial Day getaway,” said Mary Maguire, AAA Northeast Director of Public and Legislative Affairs.
By the Numbers: 2018 Memorial Day Holiday Travel Forecast
- Car rental prices are down 27.9 percent in the Boston area, with an average daily rate around $80 dollars down from $111 last year.
- Flying is cheaper this year with roundtrip airfares from Boston to New York down 6.3 percent from last year, and roundtrip Boston to Washington D.C. down 11.2 percent.
- 80,000 Massachusetts residents are expected to travel by air, an increase of 7 percent from last year.
- In Massachusetts, almost 1 million people will be traveling, an increase of 5.2 percent from last year.
See the chart of worst days and times to travel below:
- Memorial Day Events in Central Mass
- Tom Finneran: The Real Memorial Day
- Memorial Day Events in Central Massachusetts 2014
- Easy, Healthy + Delicious Memorial Day Recipes
- Six Memorial Day Events in Central Mass.
- On With Summer ! : The Memorial Day Weekend Weather Outlook
- Memorial Day Events in Rhode Island
- Modern Manners + Etiquette: White Before Memorial Day + More
- Over 37 Million Americans Expected to Travel this Memorial Day
- Over 37 Million Americans Expected to Travel Over Memorial Day Weekend
- Baker Says to “Remember, Appreciate, & Honor the Sacrifice” on Memorial Day
- Tower Hill to Give Veterans, Military Personnel Free Admission on Memorial Day
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Fun Memorial Day Weekend Dates + Sailing Into Summer In Seersucker
- Pet Safety Tips for Memorial Day Weekend Travel
- Old Sturbridge Village to Host Wool Days on Memorial Day Weekend
- MA State Police to Have Strong Presence Over Memorial Day Weekend
- City of Worcester to Honor Veterans on Memorial Day
- Memorial Day - the Cost of War
- Fecteau: Honor Our Fallen Heroes on Memorial Day