MA Beauty Expert: Bold Red Lips
Sunday, August 23, 2015
If you're shy, try a red lip gloss. Not a syrupy or sheer one - but a penetrating color that's softened with gloss. Chanel Lèvres Scintillantes Glossimers are particularly saturated but will still give red its proper day in the sun. We love Chene Rouge for its bittersweet vermilion hue. Nordstrom
Sexy scarlet lips call for a clean straight-forward eye. Anything more says "Send in the Clowns". A crisp black liner and bit of mascara will ensure that your gorgeous red lips will stand out on their own.
With darker skin tones, red lipstick is a compelling proposition but even the most porcelain of faces can handle red. There is literally a red lip for everyone. Here are some color guidelines:
Warm undertones - a ruby-red tinged with orange or coral brings out skin's natural glow. Try MAC Cosmetics lipstick in Lady Danger. Macy's
Cool undertones - instead of fire-engine red, try a bright berry such as Cover Girl Lip Perfection lipstick in Hot. Target
Fair complexions look beautiful in pure cherry reds. It's charming and fresh and looks especially great with innocent freckles. Revlon Super Lustrous lipstick in Rich Girl Red. CVS
Dark complexions have the most options. Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Carnal is a fierce oxblood that's both sophisticated and fiery. Macy's
Along with the changing leaves on the tips of the trees, adding red lipstick to your late summer repertoire will give your face a touch of fall's promise. And like yesterday's valiant homefront ladies, it somehow marks you as a woman who is unafraid to make a statement.
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com, where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: 10 Beauty Salons in Central MA for Your Weekend Prep
70 Worcester-Providence Tpke., Millbury, MA
A trip to Orange Salon in Millbury means you will receive a complimentary signature scalp massage, specific hair and scalp treatment, hand and arm massage, and makeup touch up with every beauty service.
Photo: Orange Salon
376 Chandler St., Worcester, MA
Shi-Shi's is Worcester's "first multi-textural salon" specializing in a "Make Me Over" chemical texturizing service. They also offer an acai deep conditioning masque and a Brazillian blowout smoothing treatment to tame any type of hair.
- MA Beauty Expert: Choosing a New Spring Raincoat
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring’s New Palette
- MA Beauty Expert: Shop for Your Perfect Special Occasion Dress
- MA Beauty Expert: She’s Come Undone – The Messy Look
- MA Beauty Expert: Soft Focus Spring – Pretty New Colors
- MA Beauty Expert: Ageless Beauty in Winter – It Is Possible
- MA Beauty Expert: Super Bowl style – is There Such a Thing?
- MA Beauty Insider: Fall’s Best Trends
- MA Beauty Insider: Change of Season Fragrances – Your New Fall Perfume
- MA Beauty Insider: The New Hybrids – Perfecting Foundations
- MA Beauty Insider: Poetic Ballet Style
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Concealment – New Skin Cover-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Spring Trendspotting – Five Surprising Musts
- MA Beauty Expert: Styling a Lace Skirt
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer S.O.S.
- MA Beauty Expert: Midsummer Style
- MA Beauty Expert: Lavender Love
- MA Beauty Expert: The Art of Blushing - Creamy Color for Summer’s End
- MA Beauty Expert: Cool Summer Beauty Shopping
- MA Beauty Expert: Stylish Father’s Day Gifts
- MA Beauty Expert: Chic Styling – Getting White Right
- MA Beauty Expert: How to Find the Perfect Swimsuit
- MA Beauty Expert: Summer Espadrilles
- MA Beauty Expert: Campus Style for Grown-Ups
- MA Beauty Expert: Universal Flatterers – Make-up Magic or Hype?