Worcester Hires Architectural Firm to Design New PawSox Stadium
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
The announcement comes less than a week after the City of Worcester released a video illustration of the ballpark.
“This process reflects an extraordinary union of world-class architects with local roots. To have an accomplished Worcester native as a lead architect on the ballpark, and to have an Olympic-quality architectural firm expand the reach of the ballpark into the Canal District, is an exciting marriage that continues Worcester’s ascent. With such intimate knowledge of Worcester, of Fenway Park, and our streets and parks, our City is poised to create a great ballpark and an even more vibrant downtown,” said Worcester City Manager Edward M. Augustus Jr.
The principal in charge of Polar Park is DAIQ founder, architect, and Worcester native Tommy Quirk, AIA.
The park is scheduled to open in Worcester’s Canal District in April of 2021.
Developing the Park
DAIQ will provide architectural design services for the ballpark. Sasaki will focus on urban design and landscape architecture for the surrounding neighborhood as the City moves forward with plans to break ground for the public ballpark in July of 2019.
The team will work together to restore the long-dormant site in the middle of Worcester’s Canal District, integrating baseball, urban parks, and mixed-use development.
A primary goal of the project is to create parks and public places throughout the district.
DAIQ and Sasaki
DAIQ is based in Somerville and is best-known for providing comprehensive architectural services for the Boston Red Sox during the multi-year plan to renovate and expand Fenway Park.
DAIQ’s ongoing 16-year effort to update Fenway includes improvements to the ballpark's infrastructure, life safety, concession areas, restrooms, high definition video boards, and advertising signage. Also included were renovated press areas, premium seating, luxury suites, club seating and lounge areas and the popular Green Monster Seats. Construction was accomplished over multiple off-seasons, allowing Fenway Park to remain fully operational during the baseball season.
DAIQ was also the lead design firm for a multi-year renovation of Dodger Stadium, the home of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Highlights to that project were new clubhouses, added field level seating, wider concourses, new scoreboards, plazas and concession areas.
Other high-profile projects spearheaded by DAIQ were the conversion of Atlanta’s Olympic Stadium into Turner Field, the former home of the Atlanta Braves. DAIQ also led a major expansion and renovation of the historic Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, CA that was accomplished in time for the 100th Rose Bowl game on New Year’s Day of 2014.
Sasaki, based in Watertown, is an acclaimed design firm with roots in urban planning and landscape design. The firm will concentrate on the masterplan and open spaces including all streets and parks both within and near Polar Park.
Sasaki won an international design competition for the 2008 Beijing Olympics Green.
The design included more than 1,700 acres of woods and wetlands, and the Olympic Forest Park is now Beijing’s largest public green space.
The firm’s work includes Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park which provides spectacular views to Boston Harbor and the popular “Lawn at D” next to Boston’s Convention Center. They recently created a multipurpose waterfront park in Cincinnati adjacent to the baseball park and football stadium.
- Mattiello Cites GoLocal Poll in Rejecting Senate PawSox Measure
- PawSox Attendance Inflated By As Much as 300%
- New PawSox Deal - Owners Continue to Refuse to Take on Risk
- GoLocal Statewide Poll: Just 13% of Rhode Islanders ‘Strongly Support’ Funding the PawSox Stadium
- New PawSox Deal in RI: Cost of Borrowing Increases to $85M — 16% Increase
- PawSox Deal Looks Dead for 2017, RI Speaker Mattiello Raises Concerns
- Whitcomb Says Chances of PawSox Going to Worcester are Slim
- PawSox Boss Lucchino Missing in RI
- Robert Whitcomb: Worcester Wouldn’t Well for PawSox; Taxing Away the Little Guys? Racial Fire
- Democrats, Labor Stack Hearing for PawSox Funding Scheme at RI State House
- Facing Overwhelming Public Opposition for PawSox Deal in RI, What is Next for Owners
- Pawtucket Mayor Grebien Blasts RI House Speaker Mattiello Over PawSox Failure
- EDITORIAL: RI Politics at its Worst — Last Minute Legislation Moving For PawSox Owners
- In Worcester — Questions Emerging to Cost of the PawSox Deal
- PawSox Sign Letter of Intent to Build a Triple-A Ballpark in Worcester
- GAME OVER: PawSox Attendance Fell By Nearly 40 Percent in the Past 13 Years
- PawSox Party Scheduled for Monday Night in Worcester to Celebrate Approval of the Deal
- PawSox Seek to Establish New Team Name for Worcester Move
- Worcester Chamber Supports PawSox Move to Worcester
- LIVE VIDEO: Worcester’s PawSox Press Conference
- Whitcomb: Border Wars; Ninth Inning for the PawSox? Kochs Derail Public Transit; Small Real Retail
- Governor Raimondo Signs PawSox Funding Bill — Costs $83 Million More in Financing than Sen. Version
- Did the PawSox Just Tweet that they Reject the Mattiello Legislation?