Newport Manners & Etiquette: Mr. Trump’s Bad Manners
Wednesday, February 08, 2017
Q. It is hard to resist not poking fun of Mr. Trump’s lack of manners, but his behavior is so terribly upsetting that others must be as appalled as I am! As American’s Number One Role Model, how do we stop him from taking a sledge hammer to etiquette? We see photos of the president pointing as though his hand is a pointing gun! Then he’s rubbing his eldest daughter’s pregnant belly in a formal photo, how tacky is that?
Being greeted by the Obamas, on his way into the White House after the inauguration, he leaves his wife in the car as though he’s forgotten who he came with! When Mrs. Trump (who had the gall to plagiarize one of Mrs. Obama’s speeches) is finally let out of the car, she is carrying a sloppily prepared gift for the Obamas. The Obamas politely covered for Mr. Trump’s rudeness by escorting Mrs. Trump into the White House. By the way, shouldn’t the Trumps have had the Obamas’ present wrapped in the Tiffany paper and not just handed her an unwrapped box? Shouldn’t Mr. Trump have escorted his wife into the White House?
And when Mr. Trump is seated with Mrs. Trump, he really shouldn’t put his back to his wife. Don’t you agree, Didi?
A. Mr. Trump’s ultimate exhibition of bad manners is his failure to share with the rest of America his tax returns. He is saying either that we don’t deserve to know about them or that he has something to hide.
Both are marks of disrespect for the people whom he governs.
Yes, dear reader, and to illustrate your complaint about the Trumps’ manners, here are some photos starting with Mr. Trump pretending that he has a gun. It’s the use of the index finger that is the supreme indicator of bad manners. When you are trying to make a point you should avoid looking as though you are aiming a gun or otherwise threatening your audience, be it a single individual or a packed room.
Moreover, the protocol would have been that Mrs. Trump’s people should have let Mrs. Obama’s people know in advance that she was bringing a gift, in order for them to have a prepared reciprocal gift for the Trumps. As it appears, the Obamas were put slightly off-guard, but, of course, it was the Trumps who were humiliated.
In this latest photo of the Trumps departing for Palm Beach this past weekend, Mr. Trump proceeds Mrs. Trump up the air-stairs into Air Force One, but shouldn’t Mr. Trump have let her climb up ahead of him so that he could be there to catch her in case one of Mrs. Trump’s high heels got caught and she stumbled? Shouldn't a president also be a gentleman?
~Didi Lorillard researches manners and etiquette at NewportManners. Please, send other observations of the Trumps’ bad manners, along with any photos if possible, and we will include them. However, please, no photos of the Trump children or grandchildren. Thank you!
Related Slideshow: Trump Inauguration
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Confronting Sexual Abuse + More
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Email Etiquette Update
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Gender Etiquette
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: 21 Body Language Don’ts, Cyberaffairs + More
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: The 9 Worst Costumes + Manners for Halloween + Election Conversation
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Memorial Service Etiquette
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Back to School
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Children at Weddings
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Good Guests Bad Guests
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Overnight Guests
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: The Engagement Party
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: 4 Ways to be More Friendly This Month
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Four Helpful Hints for Happier Holidays
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Four Top Tips for 2017
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Clearing The Air for The New Year
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Bucking Established Etiquette
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Sick Etiquette
- Newport Manners: Is Wedding Etiquette Crumbling?
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Six Toasting Etiquette Tips + More
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: The Twelve Sins of Christmas
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Points To Make To Children About The Election
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Thanksgiving Guest Etiquette
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: How to Handle Political Backlash
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Four Huge Tips for Holiday Partying
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Valentine’s Alert + Engagement Etiquette + More