Organize + Energize: Disorganized Offices. What’s in Yours?
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
All people in business that are disorganized function the same way. They aren’t functioning. There’s chaos and it shows in their offices and how they present themselves. If you’re embarrassed to have me come in, I wonder how you feel when potential clients, co-workers, or managers see your office.
When I see a disorganized desk, I don’t think to myself, “Wow, this is a disaster! “ I think about how I can make this person more efficient and productive and set up working organized systems that will keep them organized.
The following is a list of what I find in disorganized offices. As you go through, highlight the ones that apply to you. If you’re disorganized, I bet you can relate.
• No processes or procedures in place.
• No organized systems in place.
• Attempts at organization that have failed.
¥ Piles of papers that usually get thrown out after we go through them.
¥ Organizing supplies i.e., filing trays, vertical trays not being utilized in an efficient manner.
¥ Files in drawers that aren’t hanging, they are just thrown in the drawer.
¥ Expired medication.
¥ Expired food.
¥ Money in the form of checks, cash, and gift cards
¥ Abundance of writing utensils. Most of them don’t work.
¥ Empty file drawers.
¥ Cluttered file drawers.
¥ No drawer organizers being utilized.
¥ Office supplies stored in all different areas.
¥ Duplicate files stored in all different areas in the office.
¥ Files and binders that have not been gone through in years. Most get thrown out.
¥ Too much work material on the desk.
¥ Too many chatzkies on the desk.
¥ Bulletin boards full of cluttered memos.
¥ Papers taped to the wall.
¥ Bookshelves full of books or binders that are no longer being utilized.
¥ Credit card receipts and bank receipts in all different places in the office.
¥ Take out menus in all different drawers.
¥ Binders not labeled.
¥ Space not being maximized.
¥ Time management skills need some tweaking.
¥ Dirty, dusty desks.
¥ No system for business cards.
When going through offices, I constantly hear “I was looking for that” or “I forgot I had that.”
Can you relate? If so, you’re in need of organization. You’ll be more efficient, more productive, less stressed, have more energy and your clients will have more confidence in you. Once you get organized your time management skills will improve because you are able to see clearer once the clutter has been removed. When you’re finished organizing your office, you’ll be motivated, energized, and ready to tackle another project. It will feel like you’ve been cleansed and have a brand new office. You will be excited to go into work the next day.
Related Slideshow: Organize + Energize: 2016 Year in Review
6 Productivity Habits My Parents Taught Me When I Was Young
When both parents are disorganized at home, most of the time, their kids are following in their footsteps. The organizational skill set never gets passed down to the kids. If the kids see that it’s ok for mom and dad to live in disorganized spaces, then they believe it’s ok for them too! If you feel you can’t transfer that skill set to your kids, it may be time to call in a professional to help them with the process. You’ll be amazed at how much the kids love the process! I was fortunate to grow up with 2 parents that were organized, efficient and productive. Here are some of the habits they taught me.
6 Reasons You Need to Declutter
Most of my clients think I’m going to come over and tell them that they have to throw out all of their stuff. This is not true. My goal is to get you to become more efficient and productive. If there are things in your home that are no longer useful to you, we have a discussion about them before we get rid of anything. That being said, you have to declutter if you want to move forward. Here are 6 reasons you need to declutter.
Is Your Cluttered Bedroom Killing Your Mood?
How’s the ambiance in your bedroom these days? Clutter in the bedroom is a definite mood killer. You want your bedroom to be a place of serenity, relaxation, and a place to just unwind. Get the paper piles, piles of clothes, toys, bins, and other clutter out of the room and watch the magic happen. Interested? Read how clutter is killing your mood.
Are Your Magazines Collecting Dust?
If you have magazines that are collecting dust, it’s time to throw them out. You may be surprised at how old they are! Again, magazines collecting dust in the bedroom aren’t good for the chi in the room or any other room in the home. Here are some tips on how to control the magazines that enter your home.
Are Your Kids Following Your Lead and Becoming Disorganized?
I love to see kids thrive in an organized home and as discussed in the first slide, it can be difficult to do that if the adults in the home are living in chaos. Watch how you take care of your spaces and see if you’re kids are picking up on your habits. Are your kids picking up on your disorganized habits?
5 Things to do After You've Organized Your Office
You’ve organized your office, now what? It takes work to maintain it. Six months down the road, you don’t want to end up working in disorganized chaos again, right? Put the work in and you’ll find you’re saving time, money, and you’ll be more efficient and productive. Here are 5 things to do after you’ve organized your office.
- Organize + Energize: How Much do You Need to be Happy?
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: Is Your Nightstand Giving you Nightmares?
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Memorabilia
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: 9 Reasons You Need to get Organized Now!
- Organize + Energize: 2016 Year in Review
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Organize Your Email Inbox
- Organize + Energize: Tips for Organizing Holiday Decorations
- Organize + Energize: Plan & Prepare This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 6 Tips to Organize Kid’s Toys Before The Holidays
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Find More Time in Your Day
- Organize + Energize: 8 Things Not to do When Packing for Vacation
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons You Need to Organize Your Garage
- Organize + Energize: Mice and Clutter!
- Organize + Energize: Organize a First-Aid Kit
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in May
- Organize + Energize: 9 Things to Remember When Purchasing Organizing Supplies
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter in April
- Organize + Energize: 4 Things to Remember When Organizing Your Basement
- Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Stay Focused at Work
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in March
- Organize + Energize: 3 Ways Being Organized Will Help You Become More Efficient & Productive!
- Organize + Energize: 4 Reasons People Let Paper Piles Form
- Organize + Energize: Creating Systems in the Home