MA Senate Passes Extreme Risk Protection Order Legislation
Sunday, June 10, 2018
The legislation, titled “An Act Relative to Firearms,” allows a judge to order the immediate suspension and surrender of any license to carry firearms from an at-risk person when petitioned by that person’s family or household member.
“I have always been a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and gun owners in the Commonwealth. Regardless of politics, we all share concerns about individuals in a mental health crisis or those suffering from a mental illness using their firearms to cause harm to themselves or others. This bi-partisan legislation was carefully drafted to address these issues while ensuring due process and protections to law-abiding gun owners,” said Senator Michael Moore.
This legislation supplements Massachusetts’ existing public safety regulations which have led to the lowest rates of gun deaths in the nation.
“This legislation provides a framework for removing dangerous weapons from people who may harm themselves or others. It will reduce the risk of suicide and murder, and will encourage distressed people to seek the mental health treatment that they may need. But perhaps most importantly, this bill gives family members the tools and confidence to help their loved ones in extremely tense and emotional situations. I am very happy that the Senate has approved this legislation to make Massachusetts an even safer place to live,” said Senate President Harriette L. Chandler.
The bill was passed by the House of Representatives in May. The legislation additionally amends the statute regulating stun guns.
- NEW: Sen. Michael Moore Attempts to Reduce Health Care Costs for Small Businesses
- Sen. Michael Moore’s Opponent Kicked Out of Fundraiser
- PowerPlayer: State Senator Michael Moore
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Michael Moore: It is Time to Comply with REAL ID
- Senator Michael Moore Encourages a Healthy 2015
- Senator Michael Moore Appointed to International Partnership
- Sen. Moore Takes Steps Toward Securing Land for MA State Police Museum
- Sen. Moore Encourages Residents to Report Fraud
- Sen. Moore Supports Heart Health Awareness With Colleagues
- Sen. Moore Announces Passing of Bill Enhancing Substance Abuse Prevention
- Sen. Moore Calls for Review of State Police Barracks Closure
- Sen. Moore Holds Discussion on Higher Education With Clark U. Students
- NEW: Sen. Moore Announces Out-of-State Tuition Discount Program for MA Residents
- Sen. Moore Applauds UMass, Worcester Agreement on Biotech Park
- NEW: State Sen. Moore Issues Statement on Boston Marathon Bombings
- Sen. Moore Encourages Worcester Residents to Attend Citizens Legislative Seminar
- Sen. Moore Asks Public for Feedback on Next Generation MCAS
- Sen. Moore Congratulates Upton’s Julia KIlroy on Letters About Literature Award
- Sen. Moore Announces Members of MA - Quebec Research Council
- Sen. Moore Votes Against Legislation Increasing Compensation for Public Officials
- Sen. Moore Releases Statement on Federal Rollback of Title IX
- Sen. Moore Announces Dates for 80th Citizens’ Legislative Seminar
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. Moore: The Meaning of Public Service
- Sen. Moore Announces Return of “Free Fun Fridays”
- Sen. Moore Invites Worcester Area Student Artists to State House
- Sen. Moore Presents New American Flag to Town of Leicester
- Sen. Moore Welcomes Auburn High Students to State House
- Sen. Moore Supports Multiple Bills Dealing With The Sale & Treatment of Animals