McGovern, 75 House Dems Introduce Censure Resolution Against Trump
Sunday, August 20, 2017
Read the Full Text of the Resolution HERE
The resolution was introduced following Trump’s comments blaming “both sides” for the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia and excusing the behavior of participants in the “Unite the Right” rally.
“President Trump’s remarks in the wake of the violence in Charlottesville are outrageous. His refusal to completely and totally denounce white supremacist groups and all who enable their bigotry is unacceptable. America’s leaders must send a clear message to President Trump that these comments are not just wrong, but they insult the moral convictions and ideals our country was built on. This is a moment history will remember. Americans need to know their leaders have the courage to stand with them. We must not only condemn the President’s remarks, we must censure the President for the unacceptable way he has represented our country in this critical moment,” said McGovern.
The censure resolution condemns Trump for failing to immediately and specifically name and condemn the white supremacist, Ku Klux Klan, and neo-Nazi groups responsible for actions of domestic terrorism in Charlottesville over the weekend, and for doubling-down on his comments by attempting to create a moral equivalency between white supremacists and those counter-protesting the ‘Unite the Right’ rally.
The resolution offers an official censure by Congress of President Trump for his remarks, and calls for the President to fire any and all advisors who have urged him to cater to white supremacist movements in the United States.
Signing the Resolution
In addition to Representatives McGovern, Nadler, Watson Coleman, and Jayapal, the following Members have signed on as cosponsors: Joe Crowley (D-NY), Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX), Grace Napolitano (D-CA), Nydia Velazquez (D-NY), Bill Foster (D-IL), Diana DeGette (D-CO), Adriano Espaillat (D-NY), Scott Peters (D-CA), Donald Payne, Jr. (D-NJ), Marcia Fudge (D-OH), Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), Paul Tonko (D-NY), Al Lawson (D-FL), Rick Larsen (D-WA), Frank Pallone (D-NJ), Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Greg Meeks (D-NY), Steve Cohen (D-TN), Tim Walz (D-MN), Yvette Clarke (D-NY), Stephen Lynch (D-MA), Julia Brownley (D-CA), Eliot Engel (D-NY), David Loebsack (D-IA), Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), Debbie Dingell (D-MI), Barbara Lee (D-CA), Anthony Brown (D-MD), David Cicilline (D-RI), Jared Huffman (D-CA), Hank Johnson (D-GA), Jose Serrano (D-NY), Jamie Raskin (D-MD), Bennie Thompson (D-MS), Al Green (D-TX), Mark Takano (D-CA), Grace Meng (D-NY), Mark Pocan (D-WI), Maxine Waters (D-CA), Luis Gutierrez (D-IL), Brenda Lawrence (D-MI), Don Beyer (D-VA), Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH), Ted Lieu (D-CA), Karen Bass (D-CA), Adam Smith (D-WA), William Lacy Clay (D-MO), Brad Schneider (D-IL), Gerald E. Connolly (D-VA), Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY), Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Norma Torres (D-CA), Dwight Evans (D-PA), Albio Sires (D-NJ), Mike Quigley (D-IL), Donald McEachin (D-VA), Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Brian Higgins (D-NY), Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-NJ), Ben Ray Lujan (D-NM), James Langevin (D-RI), Dan Lipinski (D-IL), Jacky Rosen (D-NV), Brad Sherman (D-CA), Nita Lowey (D-NY), Mark DeSaulnier (D-CA), Ruben Kihuen (D-NV), Louise Slaughter (D-NY), Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR), Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM), Alan Lowenthal (D-CA), Alma Adams (D-NC), Robin Kelly (D-IL), and Jimmy Gomez (D-CA).
Related Slideshow: Trump Inauguration
- Charlottesville to Boston: Anti-Defamation League’s Trestan Talks About Boston Events
- Fecteau: The Name Game in Charlottesville
- VIDEO: President Trump Vows “Justice Will be Delivered” in Charlottesville Attack
- Police Stood By As Mayhem Mounted in Charlottesville, Reports ProPublica
- “I Wasn’t Surprised” - Anna Maria’s Dr. Pinckney on Charlottesville and Hate Groups on LIVE
- McGovern Celebrates Installation of New Bike Exhibit in Worcester
- McGovern Says Passing Trumpcare “Requires Heart of Stone”
- McGovern, Petty Send Letter to Trump Criticizing Executive Orders on Immigration
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Congressman McGovern: America Cannot Afford Trump’s Nuclear Arms Race
- McGovern Wraps Up Trip to Cuba to Promote U.S. Economic Development
- McGovern Reintroduces Bill Overturning Citizens United
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Budget Proposal “Reckless”
- McGovern Visits Worcester Regional Airport to Celebrate 20,000th Charter Flight
- McGovern Calls GOP Healthcare Bill Process a “Goddamn Mess”
- Congressman McGovern Slams Republican Party Over Latest Shutdown Threat
- McGovern Joins Petition to Force Vote on Independent Investigation Into Trump-Russia Ties
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Proposed Budget “Heartless”