U.S. Senators Urge Harvard to Allow Grad Assistants to Organize for Collective Bargaining
Wednesday, May 25, 2016
"For decades, U.S. labor law has protected the rights of workers to organize. This critical labor protection has been central to building our nation's middle class and growing our economy, and it has helped create safe and fair working conditions for millions of American workers. The work of Harvard graduate student research and teaching assistants help to make Harvard a world leader academically. They are part of what makes Harvard an important economic engine in Cambridge and Greater Boston. Respecting the wishes of these students to form a collective bargaining organization will help these students continue this important work well into the future," wrote members of congress.
Universities currently have the option to recognize collective bargaining units formed by graduate assistants, however, universities such as Harvard have delayed this recognition pending a ruling from the National Labor Relations Board which would force the schools to permit students to organize.
The letter continues, "University administrators worldwide look to Harvard as a model for their own universities. If Harvard welcomes graduate research and teaching assistants who desire to organize for improved workplace policies, a new standard of care may emerge."
- Senator Warren to Visit Alabama for 50th Anniversary of Civil Rights Marches
- Elizabeth Warren To Education Dept: Stop Profiting Off Student Loans
- Senator Warren Releases Report on Labor Standards Failures
- Can a Biden-Warren Ticket Win in Massachusetts?
- Washington Post Gives Elizabeth Warren a Pinocchio Award of 2015
- Monfredo: Senator Warren Impressed by Worcester Technical High School Students
- Warren And Warner Call for Action on Housing Finance Infrastructure
- Warren’s Student Loan Refinancing Bill Lacks Republican Support
- Rob Horowitz: Obama and Warren: Making Strides on Student Loans
- Should Elizabeth Warren Run for President in 2016?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Warren Tolman: Candidate for Attorney General
- Sen. Warren Among Group Asking DEA to Clarify “Partial Fill” Policy
- Warren Speaks on Rigged Justice System & Rejecting GOP Proposals
- Warren, Brown Ask Treasury to Investigate Involvement of U.S. Entities With Panama Based Law Firm
- Sen. Warren Questions Ex Fed Regulator Played Role in ‘08 Financial Crisis
- Oregon’s Merkley is 1st Senator to Endorse Bernie Sanders - Where is Sen. Warren?
- Senator Warren Meets with Obama’s Supreme Court Nominee Merrick Garland
- Warren Sees 54 Economists & Professors Support her Tax Legislation
- Sen. Warren Calls on SEC to Investigate Financial Service Providers
- Senator Warren Ducks Nearly All Political Questions in National TV Interview
- Warren - Constitution Threatened if Obama Doesn’t Nominate New Justice
- Shrewsbury’s Warren Ferguson Named Community Clinician of Year
- Senator Elizabeth Warren to Speak at Clark U. on March 14
- Sen. Warren Praises Merrick Garland, Looks Forward to Voting
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan