Warren for VP? Clinton Beware as Massachusetts is Presidential Ticket Loser Land
Wednesday, June 22, 2016
As Commonwealth Senator Elizabeth Warren moves closer and closers to being tapped as Vice President on the Hillary Clinton’s Presidential ticket, it should be noted that tickets with Massachusetts candidates have failed miserably for decades.
The last candidate to capture the White House with a resident of Massachusetts on the ticket was John F. Kennedy in 1960. And, even that race was a split decision as GOP Presidential candidate Richard Nixon had tapped Massachusetts’s Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. as the Vice Presidential candidate. Someone had to win.
Since then, three Presidential campaigns have had residents of the Commonwealth on the Presidential ticket.
Here are the races:
2004 GOP candidate George W. Bush edged Massachusetts Democratic candidate John Kerry in the electoral college 286 to 251. Kerry, the Massachusetts Senators was tagged for being too liberal.
In 2016, regardless if Clinton taps Warren as VP, the Libertarian party has slotted former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld as Vice President. The streak has a good chance of continuing.
- Buzzword Battle: “Hillary Clinton” Finishes Second to “America” in Most Mentioned in GOP Debate
- Senator Warren Ducks Nearly All Political Questions in National TV Interview
- Horowitz: America Doesn’t Like the Front-Runners - Trump and Clinton
- EDITORIAL: There is Only One Thing that Can Stop a Trump v. Clinton Match-Up
- Sen. Warren Calls on SEC to Investigate Financial Service Providers
- Sen. Warren Praises Merrick Garland, Looks Forward to Voting
- Is Worcester the Epicenter in the Battle Between Clinton and Sanders in MA
- Clinton Gets Beat in Michigan, Trump Wins Hawaii
- Sen. Warren Questions Ex Fed Regulator Played Role in ‘08 Financial Crisis
- Senator Elizabeth Warren to Speak at Clark U. on March 14
- Hillary Clinton Has Run-In with Worcester’s Black Lives Matter Leaders
- Horowitz: Clinton Kicks Off Campaign Impressively
- Culture in Central MA: Clinton’s “Windows into Heaven”
- Tom Finneran: On Hillary Clinton and the Marines
- Nguyen:The Email Scandal: Did Hillary Clinton Break The Law?
- Horowitz: Clinton Foundation Cash & Email Problems Creates Opening for Dem Challengers
- Trump, Clinton Hold Big Leads Going into Florida Primary on March 15
- Clinton Wins Big on Super Tuesday 2, Kasich Beats Trump in Ohio
- Recent Poll Shows Sanders Supporters Will Vote for Clinton
- Clinton Reaches Number of Delegates Needed to Clinch Democratic Nomination
- MA Senator Elizabeth Warren to Endorse Hillary Clinton
- Horowitz: Hillary Clinton’s Running-mate
- Trump’s Campaign Fundraising Falls Behind Clinton
- 24 People, $65.6 Million: Who Is Doling Out Dough for Pro-Clinton Super PACs?
- State Department Audit Says Clinton Broke Rules by Using Personal Email Server
- Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump Hold Big Leads in New York Before Primary
- Trump Sweeps Primaries While Clinton Extends Delegate Lead
- Polls Find Sanders, Not Clinton, Has Better Chance Against Trump
- Trump Leads Clinton for 1st Time in General Election Poll
- Clinton’s Wall Street Donors Are Blocking Warren for Vice President
- Warren And Warner Call for Action on Housing Finance Infrastructure
- Monfredo: Senator Warren Impressed by Worcester Technical High School Students
- Warren - Constitution Threatened if Obama Doesn’t Nominate New Justice
- Shrewsbury’s Warren Ferguson Named Community Clinician of Year
- Senator Warren Meets with Obama’s Supreme Court Nominee Merrick Garland
- Oregon’s Merkley is 1st Senator to Endorse Bernie Sanders - Where is Sen. Warren?
- Warren Sees 54 Economists & Professors Support her Tax Legislation
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan
- Warren, Brown Ask Treasury to Investigate Involvement of U.S. Entities With Panama Based Law Firm