Fecteau: The Rocket Man & the Dotard – Worried Yet?
Monday, September 25, 2017
I want to first apologize to the schoolyard bullies: I am sorry they sullied your craft; with any luck you can think of and used more original names than dotard and rocket man – maybe Mr. Trump and Mr. Kim can ask you for some advice? At the United Nations, -- in front of nearly all the world leaders -- President Donald Trump referred to North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un as the ‘rocket man’ (not to be confused with Elton John’s delightful song ‘Rocket Man’). Tit-for-tat, Kim Jong-un then referred to Mr. Trump as a dotard (an antiquated word which means senile) in a written statement. This was productive gentlemen – very productive (sarcasm).
Mr. Trump should be the adult in the room – he is our president. I would like a him to treat this threat seriously instead of hurling childish names at an individual that could trigger a nuclear winter – Kim Jong-un. If Mr. Trump wants to increase sanctions on North Korea (okay), increase the U.S. military presence across Southeast Asia (right on), but what is name calling going to solve? Kim’s regime is a dire threat and while we shouldn’t kowtow to him, let’s stop with this grade school banter.
If the ruler of North Korea, Kim, wants to act like a schoolyard punk, I could simply care less (in fact expect it from that spoiled brat), but that doesn’t mean the leader of the free world should resort to similar tactics. I expect much more from the president of the United States. Mr. Trump is taking the threat of nuclear war as seriously as Mr. Stephen Curry’s invitation (or dis-invitation) to the White House.
Mr. Trump doesn’t seem to be willing to end his temper tantrum anytime soon so maybe North Korea will finally freeze or dismantle its nuclear program with the proper incentives. Yet, no one knows how this will end, but with the rocket man and the dotard, we have plenty to worry about.
Related Slideshow: Trump Inauguration
- Fecteau: A Somber Silver Lining in London
- Fecteau: Trump’s Toxic Reversal on Climate Change
- Fecteau: Qatar’s Terror Paradise
- Fecteau: Trump’s Revenge
- Fecteau: The 51st State? Not Just Yet
- Fecteau: Honor Our Fallen Heroes on Memorial Day
- Fecteau: Terror and Response
- Fecteau: The Stupidity of Trumped-up Tax Cuts
- Fecteau: Trump’s Embarrassing First-100 Days
- Fecteau: Trump’s Miscalculation On the Comey Firing
- Fecteau: Trump’s House of Cards: Season One
- Fecteau: Adiós Cuba
- Fecteau: An Embargo Against North Korea
- Fecteau: The Name Game in Charlottesville
- Fecteau: Trump’s Nuke Bluff Backfired
- Fecteau: Trump Goes Obama-Lite in Afghanistan
- Fecteau: A Rare Moment of Bipartisanship
- Fecteau: Trump’s Pivot
- Fecteau: Chaos in The White House
- Fecteau: Tweets and Transgender Rights
- Fecteau: Democrats Lose Again
- Fecteau: Healthcare Bill from Hell
- Fecteau: The Dumb & Dumber Approach to Healthcare
- Fecteau: I Think Trump’s Crazy Too
- Fecteau: Backlash at the Harvard Kennedy School